Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sexy Dads in Real Life & Fiction

Now, if we're talking about our own fathers, I'm sure most of you will say something like "I can't go there." However, let's talk about sexy men that are also dads. I don't know about you, but a man with a baby or a kid can be extremely sexy.



Look at this picture of Taye Diggs with his daughter and wife. Sure, he's sexy all by his lonesome, but here we see that he's a father, and somehow it just adds to his sexiness.





This next example is a photo of Ben Cohen, an English rugby player, who posed for this picture as part of the "Problem Shared" campaign that supported first time fathers. Again, on his own there is no doubt of his sexiness, but the look of happiness and complete trust on his daughter's face brings another dimension of sexiness to the picture.





I know when I think of my husband and why I find him sexy, his role as a father figures in to the equation. As writers, I think we should remember that our stories don't have to be limited to men without children. One of my favorite paranormal romance books is Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward, but I also loved the novella she wrote afterwards Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story. It's a heart wrenching look at how the birth of his daughter forces Zsadist to deal with his past. I dare anyone to read that story and not be touched by the interaction between him and his daughter.



Recently I read Highland Mist and Highland Nights by Donna Grant. The first story in the series features Connall MacInness and Glenna MacNeil. Midway through the story he finds out he has a daughter, and I loved the way the author included not only his reactions to his daughter, but also the feelings of the heroine. In the second story of the series his daughter again makes an appearance, and the author shows us a special side of another character in relation to the little girl. In both stories I felt the scenes with the little girl were a wonderful addition.



There are many other examples of stories that include children, and I always feel it adds an extra dimension to the characters as we see how they react to parenthood.



How do you feel about heroes who are fathers? Would you rather have them single, carefree bachelors or do you enjoy learning about them as fathers?



~Brenda



Brenda Hyde has been a freelance writer of home and garden articles for over 20 years, and now she's also writing paranormal romance through short stories and novellas. You can find her at the Wayfaring Writer blog here: http://moonsanity.blogspot.com/.



No comments:

Post a Comment