Saturday, November 5, 2011

And now, a Blog on my Opinion which no one really wants to hear

... But I figured, what the hell, I'll write it anyway.

I don't know if I'm just poking my head out of my writing cave more or if there is an uptick in these type posts, but I'm seeing a lot of posts by my fellow authors decrying some types of stories.

Needless to say, they are not poo-pooing To Kill a Mockingbird. The big one that seems to be getting people up in arms are those faux incest stories with titles such as Daddy's Little Slut.

Now, I've found all the posts well-written and thoughtful, nothing inflammatory - just stating their opinions. Still, I find it ironic (in what I think is the proper dictionary definition) that people who write erotica and M/M romances are talking about how disturbing these books are. I mean, there is a reason that people who write these types of stories take pen names - remember the Judy Mays situation? Judy is a pen name of a high school teacher who writes erotica. This was such a "big deal" that it made a newscast.

Personally, I don't care for M/M. I have no interest in reading it, writing it, or even knowing it exists. More than that, I know some gay men find the M/M genre offensive - no, not all of them, but I do know some who find it ridiculous that women are writing a sanitized homosexual experience for the sexual enjoyment of other women.

So how does it effect you that I and others don't like M/M. It doesn't in any way, shape, or form. Who cares what I think - you certainly shouldn't. You should nod your head and go, "Good for you Dani, but I'm keeping my M/M."

Which is my point. Why does it matter what any of the rest of us are reading, or what each of us finds exciting or titillating, whether it be M/M written by women for women, incest-lite fantasies, paranormal shifter stories where they have sex while one is in their shifted form, or just standard erotic romance. This is the beauty of the written word, that these crazy fantasies can be shared with like minded people and be ignored by anyone who doesn't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment