Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Contemporary Virgin

Contrary to what the title above says, I am not going to talk about a modern-day romance heroine who has saved herself for Mr. Right. I'm talking about myself. And no! I'm not trying to say, that throughout my near-forty years of life, I've upheld a level of chasteness through abstaining from sexual intercourse. Come on, who are we kidding? Let's face it...I'm a romance author and I have two children.

What I'm referring to is the fact that I've just finished writing my very first contemporary romance novel and I am no longer a contemporary virgin. I've made the leap from being only an historical romance author to the oh-the-possibilities-are-endless contemporary genre! And I must say, it was an eye-opening experience.

For one, the research was not quite as extensive as what is required for a well-written historical. And that was a very nice change of pace. Plus, I was able to just cruise right along in the dialogue department. No worrying about whether certain words existed, or whether that common phrase circa'ed one hundred years after my hero lived. I felt like someone had opened the cage door. Unshackled the ball and chain from my ankles. Set me free. Let me run wild with no restrictions or rules.

Now, don'g get me wrong...historicals are my favorite and they will always have a special place in my heart for both reading them and writing them. But, to experience, first hand, the differences in writing a contemporary novel versus an historical, was truly exciting and immensely rewarding. Especially when I wrote the last line of the story and met my deadline.

So, I thought I'd share a little about my upcoming April release. It was only supposed to be an ebook (novella), but it turns out I wrote enough words for it to also be available in print. And that really makes me happy, because from the moment I saw my cover, I wanted this groundbreaking contemporary novel (groundbreaking for me, anyway) to be available in print so I could hold and cradle the product of my lost contemporary virginity.

Silent Partner
By Renee Vincent

Blurb:

Grayson Anders has it all. He’s the co-owner of a happening nightclub in downtown Boston, he’s wealthy, and women practically throw themselves at his feet the moment he steps on the dance floor. But profiting from these obvious benefits is not his desire. His passion is dancing and he wants nothing more than to find the perfect dance partner.

Chloe LaRoche is a talented artist, but a failing entrepreneur. Her once thriving studio is now on the brink of foreclosure and unless she paints the next Van Gogh Starry Night, she’ll have to cut her losses and say goodbye to her quaint little gallery. Fearing her career is at an end, she drags herself to the local hot spot, determined to drown her worries in the bottom of a shot glass. At least that was the plan…until she lays eyes on a wickedly sexy, swarthy dancer in the club—Grayson Anders.

Unable to resist, Chloe finds herself in Grayson’s arms, indulging in a passionate, out-of-control, one night stand. And when they awaken the next morning, they are both consumed with inspiration.

Grayson finds his perfect dance partner and Chloe finally finds her muse. But, will her secret destroy both their dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment