Sunday, January 30, 2011

Interview of Author and SNSD co-owner Tina Donahue

Welcome again to 20 Questions. Today, I have my SNSD partner and fellow author Tina Donahue in my sites. So, let's get going!


1.    Since you usually write straight contemporary novels, what made you decide to scribe a paranormal with The Yearning?



I’m always trying to challenge myself with my writing. I began in romance by writing romantic comedies for Zebra. Since I have an irreverent sense of humor (or so my friends tell me), I found those novels extremely easy to write. One of my editors suggested I try my hand at erotic romance, since my romantic comedies did have some pretty steamy scenes. So, I then moved into that. After reading the reviews of numerous paranormals, I thought the plots sounded so interesting that I’d try something like that for myself.

2.   As you were creating Mike, the hero, did you find it difficult to match his strength to that of Jasmine?  What were the characteristics you wanted to instill in him to make him a challenge for the heroine?

No, I had no difficulty matching his strength to Jasmine’s. Although she’s driven by lust because of the curse, in reality she’s always been shy and uncertain of herself around men. Before she was cursed, she wouldn’t have hoped an Alpha male like Mike would have even noticed her.

Even though Mike’s an Alpha male, he’s also a nice guy with tons of integrity and character. Because of his inherent honor, Jasmine struggled with the thought of imprisoning him. The part of her unaffected by the curse likes – then loves him – as the man he is. Strong, yet kind. Commanding but tender.

From the get-go Mike is a challenge for Jasmine – the best kind. J


3.   In the excerpt depicting their first kiss, Mike knows that Jasmine has chosen him from outside her ordinary world.  What is Jasmine’s “ordinary” world like?  Is it a place she wants to be or a place from which to escape?

With her sisters, Jasmine owns and operates a dress design business. Her sisters are involved in the artistic aspects (dress design/fabric, etc.), while Jasmine is the business manager. Before Desiree cursed her, Jasmine accepted her world for what it was…she wasn’t a babe, she wasn’t sexy, men didn’t find her particularly alluring. But once she meets Mike, once she falls in love with him, she fears what the end of the curse will mean. Will Mike find her attractive when he sees the real Jasmine – what she considers to be a plain Jane?

4.   You mentioned the element of danger in Jasmine choosing a man from an unaccustomed haunt.  What do you think are three things a woman should always keep in mind when choosing a strange man for a bed companion?

That’s impossible to answer. For myself, I wouldn’t choose a stranger. And if not for the curse, Jasmine wouldn’t have either. That’s what I wanted to convey in The Yearning, her conflict about choosing a man she doesn’t know, coupled with her growing attraction to him.

5.    What is your favorite line from The Yearning?

Whenever Mike says to Jasmine (especially at the end) “Tell me about you.”  He asked it in the beginning and she was afraid to tell him about the curse. At the end, after everything they’d been through, after he convinced her she is the type of woman he can love, he asks her again to tell him everything about herself. Very sweet. Tender.

6.   Will you write more paranormals in the future or is The Yearning going to be the only one?  In either case, why?

Oh yeah, I intend to keep writing paranormals, along with erotic contemporaries.

Why? ‘Cause I have to.  J  Writing is my life force. Without it, I wouldn’t exist. Just love it too much.

7.   The intensity that took place in your previous novel, In His Arms, both between the characters and in the subject matter was astounding.  Do you feel the same intensity comes across the pages of  The Yearning?  Explain what elements made different in this respect or the same.

In His Arms was unique given its subject matter. It’s impossible to compare it to The Yearning – like apples and oranges. However, The Yearning does have mainstream elements in it – particularly the guilt Mike feels over his partner’s death – a death he feels responsible for. And, both Jasmine and Mike feel as though they have never belonged – though in different ways. Jasmine never considered herself all that attractive to men. And Mike, because of his telekinetic gift (or curse, if you will) has always felt like an anomaly.  In The Yearning I explored what it’s like to be different…not to fit in.

8.   Is there a particular message you want to get across to the reader with The Yearning?

I hadn’t really thought about it, but if I did, it would be in reference to Desiree, the character who curses Jasmine. Desiree felt that Jasmine stole the man Desiree loved. (not true, btw) So Desiree takes out her anger on Jasmine. Too often women fight other women for a man. In my opinion, that’s counterproductive. A guy who cheats does so all on his own. No one puts a gun to his head. If the woman is mad at anyone, it should be the cheating guy.

9.   What genre have you not written that you would like to try? Why? 

Since I’ve written historical, contemporary, paranormal, erotic and romantic comedies, I’ve just about covered most of it. So for now, I think I’m good.  However, a romantic suspense may be in the offing someday. J

10. How much time do you allocate to writing each day?

I write for four hours before I begin my EDJ on the weekdays, and during those days I frequently come back to the work…so I would say 7-8 hours total. On the weekends, I just write until I finish the number of pages I’m set to finish (again, 7-8 hours).

11.  What other career would you choose other than writing?  Why?

I wouldn’t. If I couldn’t write, I’d die.

12. Is there an adventure you would like to have before die?  What is it?  What is it about this adventure that you think you would find so fulfilling?

I’d like to travel the world. I enjoy seeing new things and meeting new people.

13. Is there a place that you have never been that you would like to visit?  Where?  What attracts you to this place?

I’d like to go to Southern Spain – Andalucía. My first historical novel pubbed by Zebra took place there. During the research, I fell in love with the locale.

14. If this were a perfect world and time and money were no object, where would you like to write? 

In a villa in Spain – perhaps Granada, overlooking the sea.

15.  What is your favorite charity?  Why?

Planned Parenthood. I believe every child born should be wanted.

16. If you had the time and energy to spend, what would you like to volunteer to do?

Teach young woman to succeed. To believe in themselves.

17.  Do you prefer sunsets or sunrises?

I like both equally.

18. What is the greatest achievement you would like to make with your writing?

To move my readers to laughter, tears and sighs of delight.

19. What has been the happiest moment of your life?

Impossible to pinpoint…there have been many happy moments.

20. No interview would be complete without asking what is the one thing you feel an aspiring writer should know?  

Never give up. Never.


The Yearning is available tomorrow, February 1, from Samhain: http://store.samhainpublishing.com/the-yearning-p-6248.html

No comments:

Post a Comment