Tuesday, March 20, 2012

From Start to Finish


Writing a book can sometimes feel like a race. Most of the time it's a marathon where you have a longer stretch to write, edit, sell, polish and promote your book. Occasionally it becomes a sprint.

It's funny, I've experienced the sprint on two separate occasions, when everything fell into place both on my end as a writer (the story practically wrote itself) and on my publisher's side. The first was my sale of the Long Shots series to Carina Press. More recently though, I've gone through it again with my newest book from Ellora's Cave.

Dom For Sale was a gift from my muse. I heard the main character's voice yammering away in my head as I was trying to finish up edits for another book. Liz was a submissive girl who wasn't sure if that's what she wanted. She didn't know if this was a fad, fetish, or simply liked the idea. On and on she chatted about needing to find a way to test out if she was a sub safely.

Well, I had to write her story. The second those edits were done, I opened up a new document and wrote everything down. It was the first time I've ever written something in first person, but I heard her so clearly I couldn't imagine writing it as third. I finished the 20k novella in little under two weeks.

Then it was off to my editor. Who very quickly bought it.

Now, I have an amazing relationship with my editor, so we have things down to a bit of a science now. We flicked through edits quickly and everything was wrapped up in a week. I'm actually in the position where I'm waiting for the contract to be processed because everything else is done.

Sprint!

I wish every book came this easily. I'm coming off another book that I had to do a major revision of (actually had an R&R), so I don't want you to think they're all like this. But every now and again, it's nice to have the gift. :)

Dom For Sale should be out next month from Ellora's Cave

Blurb:

I’ve always had a thing for dominant men. I mean, who doesn’t, right? But it’s not the sort of thing I can throw out there when I’m dating. Hey, I think I like you, mind spanking me before we have sex?

I’m not really sure I am a submissive, or simply infatuated with the idea of being with a man who’s not afraid to be in charge. When my friend Connie pulled me aside and said, “Hey Liz, I have the perfect solution to your problem,” I knew I was in trouble.

So that’s why I’m here, standing in front of a stage at a charity auction, staring at Master Gareth and wondering if I can actually do this. Buy a Dom for the night. Actually give in to my desires and let a perfect stranger do what he wants to me?

Screw it. You only live once, right?


Multipublished author Christine d'Abo loves exploring the human condition through a romantic lens. She takes her characters on fantastical journeys that change their hearts and expand their minds. A self-professed sci-fi junkie, Christine can often be found chatting about her favorite shows and movies. When she's not writing, she can be found chasing after her children, dogs or husband.

Christine is published with Carina Press, Ellora's Cave, Samhain Publishing, Cleis Press and Berkley. Please visit her at her website, blog, or come chat with her at Twitter Christine_dAbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment