Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Under the covers with a male model.


Romance readers have seen cover model, Jason Baca on numerous romance novel and I am now pleased to invite you to spend some time under the covers with Jason as he shares tidbits about his life and career.

Selena Robins: Welcome, Jason, let’s start off by telling us three things about yourself that not many people know?
Jason: I’m an animal lover, especially fluffy cats. One of my favorite foods is Uni (Sea Urchin). I dye my hair because I’m starting to get some greys.
Selena: I think I just heard a collective sigh from women everywhere when you mentioned your love for fluffy fur babies. What three words would your close friends describe you as?
Jason: They’d say, fun, unique & persistent!
Selena: What is your favorite persona to model for on a book cover?
Jason: I love being the bad guy. The villain, the mystery man that can’t be figured out. The good guy you seem to know all about. But I can play that roll too.
Selena: Who is your celebrity crush?
Jason: Alexa Davalos (played Andromeda from Clash of the Titans (1981) )
Selena: Guilty pleasure food? Pizza? Curly Fries? Spinach Salad?
Jason: Linguica and Anchovy pizza with a side of Litehouse Blue Cheese.
Selena: Guilty pleasure Television show?
Jason: Jersey Shore! Hey these guys make me laugh. I can’t help it. They are all too much and don’t hold back on their comments toward one another. That’s what makes it for me. They fight, they get drunk and say outrageous comments to one another. They get mad at each other and bang their head up against a cement wall. Or go dancing at clubs and forget to put on underwear. This cast is a memorable one.
Selena: You had me at pizza and then lost me at Jersey Shore. *LOL* You can still redeem yourself. Chocolate or vanilla ice cream?
Jason: Chocolate! It’s just better.
Selena: Redemption! Speaking of food, when you’re not indulging in your guilty pleasure do you adhere to a strict diet? Do you have a grueling workout schedule?
Jason: I eat a balanced diet all year long. It’s important I stay strict because of all the people that want to do what I do. There are many wolves trying to climb the hill that are hungry. But then there is me that is the wolf on top of the hill and when he wants the food… it’s there.
I do perform a grueling workout in the morning before I start my day. I make sure to do at least 1 hour a day for my body. I mean I work it out, I move the muscles so that they become sore. When they become sore, they become worked, when they become worked, they become nice looking.
Selena: Do you read any of the books you’ve appeared on?
Jason: I have actually and boy I have been on the cover of some amazing novels! I tell you! It is really cool to be able to say I’m on these covers. Such talent.
Selena: Do you work closely with the author? Tell us a little how a photo shoot works? 
Jason: I don’t work with the author directly, but I am given instructions on what theme will be taking place beforehand so I pretty much know what type of look they are going for.
For the photo shoot, I am extremely involved in preparing for the shoot. The morning of the shoot, I drink a full glass of cucumber mineral spring water. In the shower I begin with an exfoliating spa body wash. Then I use Olay’s Nourishing Body Scrub. I follow that up with Aveeno’s Lemongrass & Ginger Root Body Wash Plus. For my face I use Clean & Clear’s Nectar Exfoliating Scrub then Dove’s Beauty Moisturizing Wash then finally St. Ives Hydrating Indulgent face wash.
After towelling off I use an aloe deep penetrating body moisturizer followed by an oil free lubriderm daily moisturizer. For my face I use an anti wrinkle eye cream around the eyes and Cliniques Daily Moisturizer. I also use Garnier’s Daily Reginerist Face Lift Cream.
Selena: How did you get into modeling and into the romance cover model business?
Jason: For modeling, I was discovered by the on-set-photographer for “I Know What You Did Last Summer” who called me over to take a few snap shots.
As for the romance covers, I went about that on my own. I paid close attention one day to a romance cover in a bookstore and realized it was something I should be doing with my life. It was right up my alley. I knew I’d be a natural for this sort of thing and sure enough, it happened.
Selena: If you could change anything about the industry what would it be?
Jason:  I wouldn’t change a thing! I love every aspect of this business. There is so much to do and so little time in this arena that I am still trying to figure it all out myself. All the RT conventions going on or talk about this and that. Hard to keep up. But I like that. That means it’s a happening thing.
Selena: It is my understanding that there are photos independent authors can use of you for their book covers? Where is this site?
Jason: Yes. Authors can visit The Authors Red Room where a graphic artist is standing by. They name the photo they want to use and the artist creates the cover for them.
Thank you, Jason, it’s been a pleasure chatting with you and learning more about the modeling industry.
In love with her family, friends, books, laughter, hockey, lively discussions, chocolate and red wine (sometimes all at the same time), Selena is a dragon slayer who enjoys reading and writing sassy heroines and hot heroes.


After giving up her dream of becoming a movie star/dancer/singer, Selena decided that her second-in-line dream was to be a writer. Even if she never got published, she’d still want to write stories with fun characters and happy ever after endings.


No comments:

Post a Comment