Thursday, December 20, 2012

“Crank me up, when you miss me.”



“Life is like a snow globe; often it's prettiest after it's been turned upside-down.”




Did this snow globe send me a message?

I love snow globes. I have an embarrassing collection of them, from Christmas themed ones to Christopher Robin and Winnie the Poo to the Phantom of the Opera, and ones that I collect during my travels, portraying a landmark of that particular city.

I've uploaded pictures of a few of them on my Pinterest page.

There is something soothing about looking at a snow globe, after turning it upside down.

There is also something magical about one particular snow globe that my brother-in-law gifted me many years ago.

First let me tell you that I am a skeptic when it comes to ghosts and basically most paranormal activity and discussions, but I do keep an open mind and have enjoyed the many stories shared by people on different blogs.

I shared this story on Denise Agnew's blog for her Halloween marathon of ghost stories.

When Denise asked me to share something to go along with her Halloween spooky/ghost story theme blog, I wasn’t sure if what happened in our household with this little snow globe would fit into these theme. Reason being; I don’t particularly care for Halloween. I’m not a pumpkin Grinch or anything (well, not anymore) and I do give out candy, and love to see small children in costumes, but I don’t decorate like mad, nor do I dress up, nor do I put on spooky music or watch horror flicks.

I’m going to share something that happened to us with regard to one of my snow globes, that to this day, I’m still unsure what was really going on.

My brother-in-law (husband’s younger brother) bought me this Santa Claus snow globe because he knew how much I love Christmas and decorating for this beautiful holiday. This snow globe has a music box inside it, but only plays a tune if you turn it upside down and crank it.

I put it out at Christmas time as part of my decorations and instead of putting it away, I decided to keep it in my curio cabinet even after Christmas, as it would remind me of my brother-in-law, who was struggling with cancer at the time and sadly, we knew he wouldn’t be with us for much longer.

Four months later, my brother-in-law passed away. On the day of his funeral, I sat in the sitting room alone, waiting for my husband to finish getting ready and I heard a tune coming from the curio cabinet.

I dismissed it, thinking it was my imagination and never mentioned it.

After his funeral, each time I would enter the room, the snow globe’s music box would kick in. I really thought I was imagining it, but decided to tell my husband. He checked to see if the crank at the bottom of it was stuck, but it wasn’t.

Since the curio cabinet is placed near a window, we both decided that it must be the sunshine giving it energy and making the music box go off.

However, that didn’t make sense since it needed to be cranked, but we still thought light, or heat was activating the music box mechanism. As you can see, we’re both a bit skeptical when it comes to paranormal activity.

The music went off one night. No sunshine. The room was dark as it was evening and nobody was in that room.

So there went our theory about light giving it energy.

My husband at this point was convinced that it was his brother’s way of saying hello to us. Because we are all grieving deeply, I went along with it, but I will was not convinced.

We told his parents about it, and it brought them so much joy when my husband told him his theory, that I decided, yes, I will go along with that as well.

Then I thought; if my brother-in-law is around here saying hi, I hope he is turning his back when I take a shower. He had a great sense of humor, he totally got mine and besides his outgoing and loving nature, that is one of the things I miss the most.

He did tell me before he died that he would come back and haunt me if I didn’t bake him his favorite cookies and muffins while he was in the hospital. I would joke back and say, don’t you dare look at me when I’m getting undressed or getting jiggy with your brother. Of course that made him want to hurl, because picturing a sibling getting frisky with his wife is as bad as picturing your parents making out.

We laughed a lot during his last days, and you know what, that’s how I would want my last days also. Teasing, laughing and joking and probably playing a prank or two if I could manage it.

His parents were convinced it was his mischievous side reaching out from Heaven.

Since I knew this brought my mother and father-in-law so much happiness, I wrapped it up and gave it to them as a gift, with a note that said: “Crank me up, when you miss me.”

They were appreciative and took great care of the snow globe, and its music would go off on its own at their house as well, and they felt their son was really close by.

I slowly came to realize, that perhaps he was beaming down some of his energy into that snow globe and it was his way of saying hello to us all, and also pulling a prank on me, knowing that I would be trying to figure out what was really going on.

My in-laws both passed away a few years later and the snow globe came back home with us. It sits in our cabinet once again, but it has never played another tune.

I cranked it, shook it, and still no music.

The three of them are all together now, so perhaps the music stopped to let us know, they’re doing fine.

I miss them and love them and would like to tell them:

"Please, if you’re around, just don’t peek when I’m taking a shower. Even though I really don’t believe you can see us, or maybe you can. Wherever you are, I know you’re happy and I will  bake your favorite cookies for Christmas in your honor for Christmas. However, I still will not eat Brussels sprouts or mincemeat pie. See you in my dreams."

* * * * *
To Tina and all the Sweet and Sexy Divas and our loyal and new followers. Withing you a healthy, safe Christmas (if you don't celebrate Christmas, I wish you a Happy and Merry Holiday that you do celebrate). Have a wonderful and happy New Year, filled with many blessings, laughter, love, chocolate and friendship.


Selena is the author of What A Girl Wants and Tempted by An Angel. Her work has been described as genre-defying, sexy, suspenseful and comedic.

To learn more about Selena and her work, please visit her website or drop by and chat with her on Selena Robins blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment