Monday, December 3, 2012


Xmas Customs and Superstitions

My main Xmas custom, and one I never break, is lighting a bayberry candle on Xmas eve and burning it to the socket. This comes from an old saying, ‘A bayberry candle, burned to the socket, brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket.” I can’t remember a year I’ve missed. I also think I’ve had a remarkably lucky life. Go figure. Another belief about bayberry candles is they light the way for the Christ child.
 
I’ve sometimes had a hard time finding bayberry candles in southern Cal. Now with the internet I can order them from back east. I like votive candles, since even those small ones take hours and hours to burn to the socket. You don’t dare blow it out and start over as that would break the charm. Gotta be careful about these superstitions!
 
I'd love to know about your Xmas customs. Please tell me yours, after all I've told you mine! 
Naturally I want to give you an excerpt from Forbidden Pursuit, my book which I hope will debut in December. This is the unedited version.
Excerpt from Forbidden Pursuit, coming soon. Book three in the Passionate Pursuit series from Ellora’s Cave. The series is erotica, but this excerpt is not erotic. Lars is a powerful elf, and father of Arden and Matt. Matt has just confessed a whore is demanding he marry her.
Lars was silent for only a moment. “Well, I think we’d all better go visit this young woman. But first I want  both of you to tell me how your elfin powers are coming along? You’re old enough to be growing into knowing your abilities. Arden, how about you?”
Arden considered the question in his usual thoughtful way. “I definitely know I have power, Papa. I’ve never had much call to use it though. Sometimes when I least expect it though, it’s as if I can see directly into someone’s mind. It’s amazing. I could hear you and Matt when he called you just now.” He paused and grinned. “But I don’t always like what I find.”
Lars smiled back. “No, sometimes it’s most disconcerting. And you, Matt?”
“Not as much as Arden, I guess. I do think I can read a person’s intentions sometimes, but it didn’t do me much good with Coco, did it?” He swallowed and then went on, a hint of steel in his voice. “I must be honest. I did know she was a slut. I should have walked out the right then.”
“An important admission, Matt. Now let’s all go see this trouble-making female. Why don’t we all transport ourselves and test our powers?”
“Arriving all at once will be impressive, don’t you think, Matt?” If Arden’s intention was to lighten his brother’s mood it worked, as Matt smiled and called out, “Let’s go.”
And the next few seconds found them all in Coco’s room  at the Red Cock.” 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment