Friday, March 4, 2011

20 Questions with Author Paige Tyler!

Please give us your website addy, a list of your books and a short bio.


BIO:

Paige Tyler is a full-time, multi-published, award-winning writer of erotic romance. She and her research assistant (otherwise known as her husband!) live on the beautiful Florida coast with their easy going dog and their lazy, I-refuse-to-get-off-the-couch-for-anything-but-food cat. When not working on her latest book, Paige enjoys reading, jogging, doing Pilates, going to the beach, watching Pro Football, and vacationing with her husband at Disney. She loves writing about strong, sexy, alpha males and the feisty, independent women who fall for them. From verbal foreplay to sexual heat, her wickedly hot stories of romance, adventure, passion and true love will bring a blush to your cheeks and leave you breathlessly panting for more!

Look for her books at Ellora's Cave, Whiskey Creek Press Torrid and Blushing Books!

BOOKS:

Ellora's Cave:

DEAD SEXY

GHOST HUNTER, Coming March 10th!

GOOD, COP, BAD GIRL, EPIC Award Finalist!

MR. RIGHT-NOW

JUST RIGHT

EROTIC EXPOSURE

UNMASKED

SEXY SECRET SANTA

IF YOU DARE

CAUGHT-RED-HANDED, Free Read!


Whiskey Creek Press Torrid

ANIMAL ATTRACTION, EPIC Award Finalist!

ANIMAL INSTINCT, # 1 Bestseller!

VAMPIRE 101, Book One of Modern Day Vampires

LIBRARIAN BY DAY, Bestseller!

PROTECTIVE CUSTODY, #1 Bestseller


Blushing Books

THE CUTLER BROTHERS SERIES, Including CADE, MADOC and THE CUTLER BRIDES

SAMANTHA AND THE DETECTIVE

KAYLA AND THE RANCHER

THE MAGIC SPELL

THE AMBASSADOR'S DAUGHTER

NOT THE MAN SHE THOUGHT

BRIDEZILLA

A DATE FOR THE WEDDING

NOSY BY NATURE

SPICING UP HER MARRIAGE

TAKING HER FRIEND'S ADVICE

IT'S JUST A JOB

ALL SHE WANTS FOR CHRISTMAS

THE TROUBLE WITH NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

AUSTIN MALONE, PRIVATE EYE, Coming Soon!

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, Coming Soon!


WEBSITE: http://www.paigetylertheauthor.com



How do you usually come up with a story idea? Dreams? Writer’s journal? Eavesdropping on conversations? Newspaper?

Usually an idea will just pop into my head, out of nowhere. The ideas usually aren't very well formed - just a little seed as I like to say. I have to water it and let it grow for a while before it starts to make enough sense to use in a book. That can often take a long time. I've had some ideas I've been nursing for years and they're still not ready for prime time.


What is your process from idea to first draft?

Once I get the basic idea developed enough that I have a feel for who the main characters are and what they're up to, then I work up an outline. After that, I start the first draft. Though that's really a misnomer because I tend to like to edit as I write, so I will sometimes write myself right off the outline! My hubby thinks I'm crazy when that happens, but I'm definitely not a logical writer (unless spaghetti logic counts!).


Who or what inspires you when your creative mojo is lagging?

My hubby and dark chocolate! Oh, and sometimes, I'll grab a book I already have published and skim through it, just to remind myself that yes, I can, in fact, write!


Who is your Yoda—your seasoned mentor?

My hubby! Not only is he my inspiration, but he's also my sounding board, idea man, research/critique/writing partner!


What importance do you place on writing workshops? What workshops would you recommend to us?

I've never attended or taken any workshops, so I couldn't really recommend any by name. However, there do seem to be a lot of great ones out there.


What person would you like to thank for inspiring you in your writing aspirations? How did this person help you.

I'd like to thank my creative writing teacher in high school. She really made believe writing was something I could do. And even though it took me years to get there, I never forgot her words.


Have you ever used songs for inspiration?

Not so much for inspiration, but I do love to listen to my iPod while I write! I've got everything from Three Dog Night and Billy Idol to Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga on there! As long as it's fun, sexy, happy and you can dance to it, I like it!


Do you play music when you write? If so, what kind? Or, do you have to have silence or background noise to set your writing muse free?

LOL! See Question 8!


Do you read in a different genre than you write? If yes, why? If you read in the same genre that you write, do you feel that it influences your writing in any way?

Actually, I find myself reading a lot more young adult romances and urban fantasy than erotic romance or romance, mainly because I don't want to be influenced by other books in the genre I write. Not because there aren't excellent authors in the genre out there, but because I'm always afraid their story ideas might seep into my own.


Have you ever given assistance to a struggling new writer? Has another writer ever come to your aide? How?

I've had writers ask me about different publishers or where to submit a book they've written, and I try to steer them in the right direction. I've even looked at a few rough drafts, just to give my thoughts. Of course, I've gotten the same assistance from a ton of writers out there. You wouldn't believe what it means to me when another writer tells me that they like my writing and that I should submit a story to a certain publisher. The words are encouraging and the advice on where to go with a particular story is extremely helpful.


What do you consider your greatest accomplishments in your career so far?

Getting published with Ellora's Cave. Though I love my other publishers, Ellora's Cave has always been my dream publisher, the gold standard even. When my editor there emailed to tell me EC had accepted the first book I sent them, I totally did the Snoopy Dance!


If you won the big lottery, what would you do with the money? Would give any of it to charity? If so, which one?

There was an episode of Castle recently where he went around asking everyone that same question. LOL! Honestly, I don't think about winning the lottery because I don't play. However, if I did, I thinks that after paying bills (boring, I know!) I'd either give the money to animal shelters or start one myself. I'm a huge animal lover! It would be wonderful to be able to take in all the strays out there and give them a good, loving home.


What is the best advice you want to give to a new writer?

I always used to go with the classic "write what you know" and don't simply go after what you think the next being thing is in romance if you're not feeling the subject. Now, though, my advice isn't so much to write what you know, but write what you'd want to read. And of course, one of my big pieces of advice would always be to write because you love it.


If you could choose an animal for a mascot, what animal would it be? What do you admire about this animal? Do you feel you have qualities similar to this animal? If so, what are they?

It would have to be a good, old dog. I love the way a dog has such a simple outlook on life. Give them a chewed-up tennis ball and a warm companion to lay next to, and they're happy. They don't care about all the extras, and that's something more humans should emulate.


If money, education and fear factors were set aside, what three careers would you like to attempt other than writing?

That's a hard one because writing is my passion and I love it, so I wouldn't want to do anything else. It helps that I get to live vicariously through my characters! However, if I had to pick I'd want to do something that involved working with animals. So, as I mentioned before, I would run rescue centers for animals. If money wasn't an issue, I'd be happy just feeding them and petting them all day.


If money, talent and fear were no object, what big adventure would you like to have?

Not so big on adventures. That's what the characters in my book are for! I've done a few adventurous things (like swimming with sharks, mountain climbing, riding in a helicopter, etc) and have discovered that adventure really isn't my thing - I think I might be allergic to it.


What characteristics do you like to instill in your heroes? What characteristics do you feel are necessary for a good heroine?

I like to write about hot, sexy, gorgeous alpha males who have a sensitive side. Sounds a little cliché, I know, but it's true. They need to be strong and confident, not to mention totally droolworthy and fantastic in bed, but they need to have a vulnerable side, too. It's okay if the heroine is the only one who gets to see that side of him, but it has to be there. Oh, almost forgot, they definitely have to know how to spank a girl! LOL! Those are the kinds of heroes that make me fall in love with them.

I like to write about strong heroines who aren't afraid to fall in love with the hero wholly and completely, and will do whatever it takes to be with him.


If you had the power to change two things in the world, what would those two things be?

That people would get along. I know it sounds lame, but there's just so much unrest everywhere that it would be so much nicer if everyone could respect and like each other.

The other would be that all people would love animals and treat them better. I just don't understand how someone could look into an animal's sweet face and not feel anything for them.


If could have a super power for a day, what would it be? Why?

I've always been a fan of teleportation (I hate how long it takes to get to Disney!), so I'm going to go with that. Although, it'd also be nice to make all chocolate calorie and fat free!



DEAD SEXY


Blurb:


Just Because He's Dead Some of the Time, That Doesn't Mean He Isn't Sexy!

Romance author Simone Kent thinks she might just have found the most perfect guy in all of New York City - in bed and out. But Drake Parrish is about as far from perfect as any man can get. Eight years ago, he was cursed by an evil Voodoo priestess to live part of his life as a zombie. Since then, he has lived like a recluse on New York’s Upper East Side, afraid to go out for fear he’ll suddenly turn into one of the walking dead.

The sex is the hottest either of them has ever experienced and Simone discovers just how naughty she can be with Drake, while he finds himself feeling things for her that he hasn’t felt in a very long time. When the Voodoo priestess learns of their relationship, however, she comes after him again. She is determined to make sure he won’t have a future with Simone, even if that means killing both him and the woman he loves.

Excerpt:

Drake dragged his mouth away from hers, his breathing ragged as he tried to regain control. He had to get it together because he was about five seconds away from doing something really stupid. Like taking her to bed. “I should go.”

Her lips curved into a sexy, flirtatious smile. “Or you could stay.”

God, how he wanted to. But as much as he’d love to spend the rest of the night exploring every inch of her body, he couldn’t take the chance he might go zombie on her right in the middle of sex. Talk about coitus interruptus, And it had already been almost four days since he last turned, which meant he was already pushing his luck.

“You don’t know how much I want to,” he groaned. “But I can’t.”

Simone looked up at him with those big, blue eyes. “Why not?”

“Because I…” He hesitated, trying to come up with something that would sound believable. “I have a column due in the morning and I haven’t even started on it yet.” She knew all about deadlines, so she would understand that. Besides, he did have a column to write, it just wasn’t due until next week. “Rain check?”

She looked disappointed, but she smiled anyway. “Absolutely. How does coming over for dinner tomorrow night sound?”

It would be crazy to agree when he could be so close to having an episode, but he couldn’t say no. Not when she asked in that soft, sultry voice. “Sounds great.”

“Good. Be here at seven.”

“Seven it is.”

She pulled him down for another long, slow kiss on the mouth. “Don’t be late.”

His mouth twitched. “I won’t.” He bent his head to kiss her again, then groaned. “If I don’t go now, I’ll be here all night.”

Simone laughed. “Would that be such a bad thing?”

“Not to me, but my editor at Money Issues might not be too understanding when he doesn’t find my column sitting in his inbox tomorrow.”

She sighed. “Deadlines can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. Okay, go home and write your column. I’ll cuddle up with a bowl of ice cream instead.”

He chuckled. “Sounds better than taking a cold shower, which is what I’m going to be doing when I get home.” He closed his mouth over hers once more. “See you tomorrow night, beautiful.”

Resisting the urge to pull her into his arms again, Drake turned and walked down the hallway toward the stairwell. At the top of the steps, he glanced over his shoulder to see Simone standing where he’d left her, a sexy curve to her lips.

It took every ounce of strength he possessed not to go back and pin her against the door for one more long, lingering kiss. God, what he wouldn’t give to spend the night with her. Man, it was going to take more than a cold shower to get her out of his head.

Hope you enjoyed the excerpt and that you can't wait to read more!


You can get DEAD SEXY from Ellora's Cave at http://www.jasminejade.com/ps-8917-50-dead-sexy.aspx

You can also check out the trailer here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5D_YH6bYrE

No comments:

Post a Comment