Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reviews by Stephanie Julian

A good review can make your day.

A bad review can ruin your week.

But what about the mediocre review? The reader liked it but had problems. The characters were superficial or the plot had holes.The story just didn't do it for them.

Those are the ones that make you doubt.

Are they right? Could I have done something differently? Did I make the right choices?

A good review validates your ability. A bad review you can write off. But those mediocre reviews... They gnaw at your brain and make you question.

I do read all my reviews, good and bad. I like to know what readers are saying. Of course, I love the great ones and most of the bad ones I can brush off as the reader having a bad day. But when a reader takes the time to write 20 inches about why she just couldn't get into my story, you have to stop and think. And when a few readers say the same thing, well then maybe, just maybe, I should have given that story more thought.

Then again, maybe not. Because for me, for as many mediocre reviews I get, there are an equal number of good reviews. And occasionally, a few really great ones.

I take a great deal of pride in writing the best story I can and to create characters who the reader can identify and fall in love with.Not everyone's going to be on the same page with me all the time.

And that's okay.

There are days I'm just happy someone is taking the time to read my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment