Monday, September 19, 2011

Time to ask a romance author ANYTHING you'd like

I'm handing over the interview questions to YOU the readers and fans of the romance romance. Is there anything you always wanted to ask a romance author, but it hasn't been asked in an interview? Well, I'm offering myself up and will answer any questions you may have.

One of the things I find hard to write is a bio. I do have a bio on my website, and I tend to use that one when asked to submit a bio. I like to call it time management.

Here are a few tidbits about me, not listed on my site's bio and things that have never been asked in an interview:

My husband has recently stated that he'd love to start a blog called, "Things my wife says and does." I'm not concerned, he doesn't even like to write emails. Funny guy. He makes me laugh, I make him laugh.

I love to cook, my family loves to eat what I cook. I also love making my husband blush. He's an alpha/beta type, but I can still pull out a rosy hue on his handsome face when I publicly state, he has given me my happy-ever-after *wink wink* that I love to write and read about in romance novels. Yes, he is the inspiration for some of the more "sensual aspects" of my writing.

I love books, which I know is standard for all us readers and writers. I write what I love to read: romance with a ton of sexual tension (I actually prefer writing about the tension, the anticipation more than the actual sensual scene, because getting the reader all worked up and filled with tension is...well, it's fun, it's why we do what we do), I love msystery, suspense, comedic prose, along with serious deep thoughts and themes in the books that I read and write. My tastes are eclectic as is my wardrobe, culinary skills and at times vocabulary.

I learned to play the accordian at an early age. Hey, I'm Italian, it's a right of passage. I wasn't that good at it. However, I did enjoy practicing at home and driving my older siblings crazy with my attempts at Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I also took Highland Dance classes. I bet you're wondering why a little Italian girl took Highland dancing? I'm first generation Canadian, I was born in Canada, while my parents and siblings all immigrated from Italy. Hence, why my brothers convinced me I was found on their doorstep, but that's another story.

My parents wanted to assimilate with the Canadian culture. My dad at the time smoked cigarettes (Export A). On the package was a picture of a woman, wearing a Scottish tam. After I was born, my parents associated this plus other pop culture things with the Canadian culture, so when I was old enough, they enrolled me in Highland Dancing.

I didn't learn to speak English until I was six years old, sometimes this can still effect me, as I think in one language and things come out in English in an awkward way. "English wasn't my first language," is what I say. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I used to be quite the daredevil. Broken knee, wore a full leg cast (downhill skiing), shattered my radial head in my left arm (roller-blading), broken toe (fell down the stairs while multi-tasking, some will say, I can be a klutz, I don't agree...well, not 100%).

The one thing I'm having difficulty with in this age of "branding" is exactly that, "branding myself." First thing that comes to mind at times is: they brand cows and horses don't they? Not to say that authors who use this method are doing it wrong, many are doing a bang up job of branding themselves and their books.

Since my stories tend to have a little of everything, as one reader put it: "genre-defying," I can't pinpoint a certain brand. Therefore, I'm probably not keeping up with the times, but will continue to write stories that intrigue me, make me laugh, cry, think, and at times scare the bejeebers out of myself (as I'm doing with my WIP filled with real bad guys).

Thank you for giving me the opportunity for allowing me to share a little more about myself, and feel free to post any question you'd like.

About Selena Robins:
Witty, humorous, suspenseful, sexy--words used to describe Selena’s writing style. A chocolate guru, in love with her husband, family, friends, books & red wine, she dances with her dog, sings into her hairbrush & writes in her PJ's.

Selena is the author of the contemporary romance, What A Girl Wants, paranormal romantic comedy, Sabrina's Destiny, Romantic Comedy, Short Story, Tempted by an Angel, and a children's novella, Pippy's Wish.

Selena's Website
Selena's Blog
Email Selena

No comments:

Post a Comment