Friday, October 28, 2011

Guest interview with Erin Dameron Hill!!

Please give us your website addy, a list of your books and a short bio.

http://newconceptspublishing.com/erin-dameron-hill/



The Legend Series:

Legend: The Wolf, Legend: The Fey, Legend: The Chimera. Coming soon: Legend: The Pride







The Dior Saga:

Dior. Coming soon: Dior: The Joining, Dior: Dreamscape



Edge of Reality Series:

Edge of Reality: Hans, Edge of Reality: Hood

Short stories:

Alpha Worship. Coming soon: Demon Lush, Dark Revelation



Bio:

Erin Dameron-Hill constantly searches for a story that is both intriguing and precarious to the reader. There is not a depth of darkness that she will shy away from. Life is an epic journey filled with courage and happiness and that is what Erin Dameron-Hill strives for in her novels. Born into a life of travel, Erin Dameron-Hill never stayed in one place for too long, instead she roamed about the country searching and expanding her knowledge of love, mythology, and folklore.
Upon her entrance into Flagler College, she met her soulmate, her husband, and finally knew what true romance was. She now writes in the hopes that others will find true love and be swept off their feet just as she was swept off hers.

How do you usually come up with a story idea? Dreams? Writer’s journal? Eavesdropping on conversations? Newpaper?

Ideas usually just slam into me as if I’m standing in the middle of a busy intersection not paying attention to the signs. I could be doing anything from cleaning the house or cooking or eve shopping and all of a sudden, Bam! An idea!

Sometimes a dream will inspire me and I’ll go from there but usually ideas just appear out of the blue.

Who or what inspires you when your creative mojo is lagging?

When my creative mojo is lacking, there is really no one and nothing that can bring me out of that funk! I just have to plow ahead and hope the snow melts away!

Who is your Yoda—your seasoned mentor?

I don’t really have a mentor but I do have authors who inspire me to become a better writer. Just reading other books and falling into their realms pushes me to new heights.

What importance do you place on writing workshops? What workshops would you recommend to us?

Writing workshops are an integral part to the learning process. The best workshops that I have been to have been found at coffeetimeromance.com

What person would you like to thank for inspiring you in your writing aspirations? How did this person help you?

I would like to thank my husband, Cameron. He is my rock and my soul mate. Every hero that I fashion has been made in Cameron’s image. Cameron constantly encourages and supports me. Without him, I would never have taken the first leap into romance.

Have you ever used songs for inspiration?

Oh yes! In fact, “Alpha Worship” was inspired by Rihanna’s “S&M”. I loved the song so much that I had to explore that realm!

Do you play music when you write? If so, what kind? Or, do you have to have silence or background noise to set your writing muse free?

I have to have silence so that I can completely immerse myself into the world that I create. However, I always need a creative boost so when I stop for a break, I jam to techno/trance/dance. Paul Oakenfold and David Guetta are two of my favorite DJ’s and they always manage to pump me with more energy!

Do you read in a different genre than you write? If yes, why? If you read in the same genre that you write, do you feel that it influences your writing in any way?

Yes. I do read in different genres other than I write simply because I don’t want my writing to be heavily influenced by other authors. I try to keep my writing fresh and original! I read genres such as futuristic/ménage because they are completely different from what I write every day. It keeps the paranormal romance from becoming monotonous and boring.

What is your process from idea to first draft?

My process is simple: 1) An idea comes to me 2) I hurry to my keyboard while 3) My kombucha green tea is boiling 4) I drink the tea and type like there’s no tomorrow! I can usually hammer out around 7500 words in a day when I’m swept away by a brand new idea!

After I reach the end of the first draft, I then start at the beginning and read/re-write or fill any holes that might have happened. Once that stage is complete, I send my husband the second draft and he edits it, tells me what I’m missing, or if something doesn’t make sense. I then re-read/re-re-write (:D) and try to finish in timely manner. Once I feel confident in my piece of fiction, I send it off to my publisher and let them decide if it’s fit!

Have you ever given assistance to a struggling new writer? Has another writer ever come to your aide? How?

Considering I’m a new author myself, I haven’t really had the opportunity to help others but I have been given great advice from fellow NCP author, Skhye Moncrief.

What do you consider your greatest accomplishments in your career so far?

Being published! Just getting my very first novel accepted after only one rejection makes me proud! I am completely satisfied with just that one accomplishment because it’s a doozy.

If you won the big lottery, what would you do with the money? Would give any of it to charity? If so, which one?

First, I would pay off all my debt which includes college loans, credit card bills, etc. Once all that was taken care of, then I would continue to give to my favorite charities such as Defenders of Wildlife, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, Coweta County Humane Society, Surfrider Foundation, Ocean Conservancy, and Nature Conservancy. Regardless of how much money I have, I always manage to send them money. They are worthy causes and I support them full-heartedly.

As for selfish spending, I would purchase a 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback. I love classic cars!

What is the best advice you want to give to a new writer?

Stick to your guns! There is a lot of advice out there and many of it is conflicting. So, trust your instincts and always love what you do! You can’t go wrong if you’re passionate about your ideas!

If you could choose an animal for a mascot, what animal would it be? What do you admire about this animal? Do you feel you have qualities similar to this animal? If so, what are they?

My husband would say that my mascot should be the lion. I’m fierce, dedicated, and strong. I’m loyal to my family and very protective of them. I would have to agree with my husband because I have adored the lion since I first laid on eyes on them! They’re both frightening and beautiful which my husband would say describes me perfectly!
If money, education and fear factors were set aside, what three careers would you like to attempt other than writing?

1) Astronaut—If my mind was more apt for math and science, then I would study the universe and find a way to traverse it’s infinite roads!

2) Opera Singer—I love opera! If my voice was stronger, I would be singing right now! Instead, I have to hide in the shower and bellow! I’m sure with enough money someone could do some throat surgery or something and make birds envious of my new found talent! :-D

3) CIA Agent—If I wasn’t afraid of killing someone, then being a spy would be interesting. Knowledge is power and stealing knowledge from my enemies sounds both dangerous and exciting…also downright scary because I’m not a fan of pain or being tortured!

If money, talent and fear were no object, what big adventure would you like to have?

I would love to fly around the world like Amelia Earhart. I have a horrible phobia of flying otherwise, I would pilot the plane myself and soak in the immensity of this fair planet!

What characteristics do you like to instill in your heroes? What characteristics do you feel are necessary for a good heroine?

My heroes have to be intelligent, kind, and devoted. Muscles are always helpful but muscles can’t show a girl true love!

A good heroine has to be strong in order to keep up with the big boys! She has to be clever to avoid potential harm and she has to have a sense of humor. Life is far too short to take it seriously! I believe laughter really is the best medicine so whenever I can joke in my stories, I do.

If you had the power to change two things in the world, what would those two things be?

Only two things?

There are many things I would fix but two things…I would have to focus on eliminating all disease which also includes any and all handicaps. Anything that would hamper a person’s ability to live life to the fullest would have to be erased!

The next thing would be famine. There is already a disgusting amount of food wasted that shouldn’t be! In today’s modern, technological society, famine should no longer exist. There are genetically enhanced foods which produces more fruit/vegetables than normal. I would love to see starvation wiped from the world. It should not be an issue.

If could have a super power for a day, what would it be? Why?

Okay, I have thought about this one since I first discovered supernatural fiction. I have jumped from elemental mastery to super strength and even Jedi mind tricks (for those testy groups of people at the DMV. I know they’re just doing their job, but seriously, smile sometime and help!) But the ultimate super power for me would be extreme speed. Even though my physical boy would turn into a pile of mush because of the intense propulsions, I would love to be able to run on water and accomplish at least a million tasks in one day. Think of how much you would get done! Time would not stand in my way! Well, until the day ran out anyway…

No comments:

Post a Comment