Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What is the scariest movie you've seen?

When October rolls around, we think about the crisp air, harvesting our gardens, Thanksgiving and of course Halloween and scary movies. I'm not one to watch horror movies, the movies that scare me the most are more subtle in their frightening message. True stories of murder, violence and ways real life villains have destroyed people's lives are scary for me.

There are however a few fictionalized movies that have stayed with me and have given me goosebumps and scared me in that bone chilling way.

Wait Until Dark
I’m an avid Audrey Hepburn fan, so I have seen all of her movies. Her movies have made me laugh, cry, daydream and sigh with contentment. There are no monsters, zombies or evil vampires in this movie, but Wait Until Dark had me literally jumping out of my seat in fear. The movie slowly builds tension, increases it throughout the movie and holds on to it until the very end. The brilliant performances make you care about the characters and connect with them all (both the good guys and bad guys). It’s Audrey Hepburn who is the shining star of this movie, with her realistic portrayal of a blind woman who needs to rely on her senses and brains to keep herself alive. Wait Until Dark is a thriller masterpiece, and I recommend it to anyone who appreciates an intelligent plot and wants to be scared at the same time.

Time Enough At Last (Twilight Zone Episode)
This isn’t a movie, but it is one of the scariest shows I remember watching. For those who haven’t seen this episode, warning: I’ll be posting a spoiler. What scared me the most about this movie was the ending. Again, there were no characters that go bump in the night, it’s a story about a bookworm who wanted one thing—to be left alone to read as much as he wanted . He was unhappy at his job, had a nagging wife so he kept wishing they would all go away so he could just read the books he loved. He took a lunch break in the bank’s vault one day, and a nuclear war destroyed the world, fortunately he was saved. He leaves the vault and goes to the public library and finds all the books are intact and readable. Finally, he can read all he wants without being interrupted. He accidentally breaks his thick glasses, he’s virtually blind without them. He can’t put his glasses together because he can’t see a thing. He got what he wished for, he was left alone. Burgess Meredith’s performance and the intensity of his passion for books along with the ending, was a frigtening to watch.

Jaws
Great white hungry shark. Beach resort. I love the beach, I love to swim. The sound effects still reverberate in my head, any time I go to the ocean, and those warning flags, brings the whole movie back to life for me.

Carrie
I actually found this movie more sad than scary—up until the end. I felt so bad for Carrie, the way she was mocked, teased and bullied, even by her own mother. The story itself didn’t scare me, as I thought the gory scenes were a bit over the top. However, the last scene with her hand coming up from the grave—yeah, that made me jump out of my seat.

What are some of your scariest movies?

About Selena Robins:

Author of Genre-defying, Witty, Sexy Romances, Selena is a dragon slayer, and a chocolate guru. In love with her husband, family, friends, reading, writing & red wine, Selena dances with her dog, sings into her hairbrush & writes in her PJ's. Her recent release, WHAT A GIRL WANTS is a contemporary romance filled with humor, mystery and sensuality.

Selena's Website
Selena's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment