Monday, January 7, 2013

Harlie's Top Book Picks of 2012


Its me again!  Whew, I read a lot of books in 2012 and I'm going to share some of my favorites that I reviewed and/or just read for my own pleasure.  So in no particular order, here they are:

1.  Dead Series by Lizzie T. Leaf - as most people know, I grew extremely tired of the paranormal genre in general so for me to post a paranormal series as one of my top picks of 2012 is something.  This series is intelligent, funny, sexy, suspenseful, and it builds from the first book of the series to the last one.  Lizzie never dumbs down the genre, nor does she make it overly graphic in nature.  Its about normal "paranormals" living amongst humans and the problems that they face within themselves.  Yes, there are vamps, weres, fae and demons.  The males aren't Uber Alpha and the females are not saps or doormats.  Highly recommended for everyone.

2.  That Filthy Book by Lily Harlem and Natalie Dae - O.M.G.  I mean seriously Lily and Natalie?  *wink*  Lily knows how much I love reading books about established couples and how they cope with their everyday lives and keeping fresh.  She and Natalie did not disappoint with this book.  Its raunchy, arousing, thought provoking but first and foremost, loving.  The devotion that the couple had to each other and their relationship is staggering.  It has a bit of everything that you have ever read in erotic romance and then some.  Its on the keeper shelf on the Kindle for all time.

3.  Archer's Lady by Moira Rogers - Again, another genre that I don't typically read but I'm so damn hooked on Moira Roger's Bloodhounds that I sometimes just look at the covers, close my eyes and remember...The genre I speak of is a mash up of Western Historical, Steam punk, Paranormal, and erotic.  I blame my friend Maria Durst for turning me on to the series and I've never looked back.  Archer is my favorite Bloodhound so far.  There are more coming this year.  Woo Hoo!

4.  Conditional Offer by Liz Crowe - I know, I know.  Its a Liz book but for me this is the best and my favorite of the whole Stewart Realty series.  Its the story of Craig and Suzanne.  I'm a self professed Jack fan but there was something about Craig that I just had to have his story told.  If you read my review, you know that you have to read the series in order as to realize what the side stories are but if all that had been left out, Conditional Offer would still be on this list.  I got lost in their relationship and have never been happier about a "book couple" and their HEA.

5.  A Dry Creek Bed series by Avery Flynn - Most people don't know that my favorite genre is romantic suspense.  Yes, I was weened on Sandra Brown, Cherry Adair, Karen Rose, Andrea Kane, Karen Robards and Tami Hong.  So when I get a chance to read a debut romantic suspense, I'm not sure what to expect.  Expect the unexpected from Ms. Flynn.  She takes what could be two dimensional characters and gives them depth, deep emotional layers and then throws in humor...*swoon*  Plus, her heroes aren't Uber either.  I grow tired of the same old hero and heroine in my romantic suspense.  Don't make them too stupid to live and just out right mean to each other.  Yes, I'm finding that more and more.  I like a strong man but not some of the ones that I'm reading now.  I would bitch slap them right back to their mommas.

That's all I have for right now.  I'm reading some really good ones right now.  I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone and its showing in what I'm posting on the blog.  Plus, I've started to review some YA on my PG-13 blog and that's been a blast too. 

So tell me, what are some of your favorite reads last year?  Don't worry.  My list is actually longer than that the one I posted but I didn't want bore everyone.  Watch for the other top reads in the next few weeks on Harlie's Books.



No comments:

Post a Comment