Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Writers' Block's the Pits

If you've ever had it, you know how helpless it feels not to be able to put together a story from the synopsis you used to sell it! I don't often get stumped, but I am now--and I'm trying hard to blame the blahs on the nasty case of not-flu-bug that had me down most of last month!

Two competing story lines sit in my computer when I'm two days before deadline, and never the two shall meet! I've vacillated like a politician with a hot-potato issue, lobbyists on one side and irate constituents on the other--and only today have I managed to reconcile in my head that one of the story lines works marginally better than the other.

Why, you ask? Well, my initial story line called for my IR hero and heroine to be strangers, when the hot sex they want to have doesn't mesh with the idea of them just having met. Now I've added a prologue with them meeting, having incredible sex and parting ways because they're just too different and their worlds are totally incompatible.

Add to this the fact that the proposal for the story places it as a continuation of a long series with many characters and complex relationships--and a timeline that doesn't quite match up in the older stories, although the lapses aren't too bad considering that the series wasn't originally written as such--rather as separate books that somehow ended up as part of a loosely connected series!

The series: BLACK GOLD, where the Middle East and Texas merge in some steamy yet difficult-to-reconcile ways. The current WIP: SELENA'S SHEIKH, in which I'm trying to bring together an independent Texan heroine with a fairly traditional Kuwaiti sheikh for whom sex is the major glue that holds two improbable lovers together.

My hope: that when I finish SELENA'S SHEIKH it will bring a new and different set of conflicts to a nontraditional interracial/multicultural romance--and that readers will enjoy what's proving to be a very different yet highly erotic contemporary romance.

Meanwhile, check out my current book, #3 in the Caden Kink series, available from Ellora's Cave, Amazon and other online booksellers!

Ann Jacobs
http://annjacobs.net

Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AnnJacobsAuthor

Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/authrannjacobs



No comments:

Post a Comment