Thursday, May 5, 2011

IS EROTIC ROMANCE DEAD?

Adele Dubois Wants To Know!

-- Contest Alert! --

An editor from a popular electronic publisher and I had a discussion about the current state of the erotic romance market. I wondered if a traditional erotic story about one man and one woman falling in love and having amazing sex contained enough thrills for readers anymore. I questioned whether it’s necessary for men and women to tie each other up, bring out the clips and battery-operated toys, or have group sex with partners of both genders while their relationship unfolded in order to meet market demand.

Has sex without bells and whistles, cartwheels and back flips become an obstacle to reading pleasure?

Many of my author friends, who in real life are as conservative as I am, have turned to what we call “writing to market” to increase their readership. They’re writing about kink of all kinds because it seems that “plain vanilla” isn’t enough to titillate fans anymore. I’ve upped the ante in my books, too, by including scenes with multiple partners and F/F sex to mix things up a bit. These stories were fun to write and I hoped readers would enjoy them. In my heart of hearts, though, I still want to write those smokin’ hot romances about one man and one woman having incredible, un-kinky sex while falling deeply in love and planning a happily-ever-after future together.

Is erotic romance, in its early form, dead?

According to the editor to whom I posed this question, the answer is a resounding no. She said that some of the hottest, most memorable stories she’d edited or read for pleasure were love stories about one man and one woman. In her view, “plain vanilla” can still slack the thirst of the most demanding reader. She encouraged me to keep writing traditional erotic romances, submit them, and not worry about being “conservative”.

Still, I’m skeptical.

So, savvy readers, tell us all. Which style floats your boat? Traditional flavor or kinky? Do you want your heroines tied up and blindfolded, or in charge? Like your heroes abrasive or romantic? Tell us what you want in an erotic story, and why. We want DETAILS. Those who reply with the most informative answers will automatically be entered to win a copy of my best-selling erotic e-book novel REV ME UP. If enough people provide thought-provoking answers, I’ll give away two books.





















REV ME UP and its stand-alone sequel REV ME TWICE will be offered in trade paperback this fall under the title REV ME.

Thanks for playing!  Best--Adele

Visit Adele Dubois and read about her books at www.adeledubois.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment