Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recurring Characters by Stephanie Julian

I'm working on the fifth book in the Lucani Lovers (title TBD) series at the moment and I just finished revisions on the second book in the Forgotten Goddesses series, HOW TO WORSHIP A GODDESS (Dec. 2011, Sourcebooks). Both series take place in my Etruscan Magic world, as does my Magical Seduction series. That makes for a lot of characters who live and love in my imaginary playground.

I love revisiting characters, especially my favorites. I have several and I'm always thrilled when I'm able to bring them into the story I'm working on. So in addition to falling in love with a new hero, I get to spend some time with a previous hunk.

Kyle Rossini is one of those favorites. He's shown up in every lucani book I've written and will also have a role in HOW TO WORSHIP A GODDESS. Kyle is my idea of a real man. He's strong, he's smart, and he loves his mate, Tam, with a quiet intensity that's so freaking hot. Kyle was one of those characters that came to me fully realized.

Cam de Feo was the same. He's self-confident, capable and the guy can work magic. Again, hot enough to scorch your fingers. Then there are those ears. Very cool.

And Sal, well, Sal's just different. He's a salbinelli, an Etruscan satyr, with the upper body of a man and the lower body of a goat. Yes, he looks like Pan but people don't mention that to his face. He tends to give them tails if they do. Sal's always there to lend a helping hand, whether it's to the lucani, the Forgotten Goddesses or the fata, the Etruscan fairy races. He's been a pivotal character in several stories but he'll get his HEA soon enough.

If you think it's all about the guys, then you've not met Nortia, Etruscan Goddess of Fate. I have so much fun with Nortia. She's such a smart ass. She says what she wants and doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks. Of course, the fall from such lofty heights can be far so Norty better watch her back. And her heart.

And finally, there's Cat. Cat is the daughter I'll never have, since both of my real children are boys, soon to be young men. She's almost too perfect, isn't she? Sweet-natured, loving, beautiful, smart. Strong. She's going to need that strength because life has a way of throwing curve balls at you. And even if you're expecting them, sometimes they don't curve the way you think they might.

All of my favorite series, like the Black Dagger Brotherhood, the Psy-Changeling series, The Breeds, have created a community where the characters we're fallen in love with over the course of three or five or seven books come back and are an integral part of the larger story being told.

That's what I'm striving for.

So what are some of your favorite series and recurring characters?

No comments:

Post a Comment