Friday, April 1, 2011

20 Questions with Author Tracey Kitts!!

Please give us your website addy, a list of your books and a short bio.


http://www.traceyhkitts.com/

Bio:

This multi-published author has been writing stories for her own entertainment since she was a child. Tracey has always been drawn to the macabre, with a fondness for anything with fangs. She writes what she enjoys reading in the hopes that others will enjoy her stories as well. Her main goal as a writer is to put emotions into words. She wants people to feel something when they read her work.

Books:

Red, New Concepts Publishing

Object of my Affection, New Concepts Publishing,

The Dread Moon New Concepts Publishing

Original Sin, New Concepts Publishing

A Dream Forbidden, New Concepts Publishing

Brain Dead, New Concepts Publishing

Bitten, New Concepts Publishing

Eden, New Concepts Publishing

Once in a Blue Moon, Noble Romance Publishing

Diary of an Incubus, New Concepts Publishing

Wicked City, New Concepts Publishing

Sex Symbol, Ellora's Cave

Till the break of Dawn, New Concepts Publishing,

Three Days of Night, New Concepts Publishing

Fate's Embrace, Ellora's Cave, Coming Soon


How do you usually come up with a story idea? Dreams? Writer’s journal? Eavesdropping on conversations? Newpaper?

Any or all of the above. My ideas literally come from everywhere. Although, what I consider to be some of my best ideas have come from dreams. I keep a dream journal and occasionally when I’m looking for something to write about or some twist to add to a story, I’ll find it there.


What is your process from idea to first draft?

Normally, I’ll write the idea down and put it away for a while. That could be anywhere from a few days to a year. It depends on how much the story wants to be told. If it’s the kind of idea that keeps nagging me, I might start writing about it immediately. That has happened a couple of times.

I don’t write the type of outline an English teacher would approve of. Ha. Ha. In fact, I mostly fly by the seat of my pants. I’ll jot down a few basic ideas that I know needs to happen in order for the story to work. The rest tends to happen naturally. The more I think about a story, the less likely I am to write it. I have to just sit down and let it happen.


Who or what inspires you when your creative mojo is lagging?

Music is great when I don’t feel so inspired.


Who is your Yoda—your seasoned mentor?

This may sound bad, but I don’t have one. Writing is a lonely venture and I’ve really been on my own from the start. I take what I do seriously and do lots of research. I have to believe that’s enough.


What importance do you place on writing workshops? What workshops would you recommend to us?

I believe it’s all about what an individual thinks will help them. If workshops help you then by all means, indulge:) Personally, I’m not into workshops. I end up spending more time thinking about a project and picking it to death instead of writing it. But, that’s just me. I certainly wouldn’t mind some workshops about marketing though.


What person would you like to thank for inspiring you in your writing aspirations? How did this person help you?

I would like to thank my friend Priscilla who has encouraged me and read my stories from the start.


Have you ever used songs for inspiration?

All the time. It doesn’t even have to be a sexy song. Just the other day I got a great idea from a random old country song I’d never even heard before. Something in the words was very poetic. Actually, I’m about to write the part that song inspired this afternoon.


Do you play music when you write? If so, what kind? Or, do you have to have silence or background noise to set your writing muse free?

It all depends on what I’m writing. Some books require total silence. Others, I can listen to music if I want. I like slow R&B and instrumental/meditation type music.


Do you read in a different genre than you write? If yes, why? If you read in the same genre that you write, do you feel that it influences your writing in any way?

I purposely do not read the same genre. So, as you can imagine it really bothers me when a reviewer rudely compares my work to someone else. I had one recently who insinuated that I had stolen characters. Sorry, but no one owns the rights to tall, dark, and sexy.

I like to read horror. Specifically, I enjoy Dean Koontz.


Have you ever given assistance to a struggling new writer? Has another writer ever come to your aide? How?

I’ve had new writers ask me questions about the publishers I work with before. But other than that, nope. Never really had the opportunity.


What do you consider your greatest accomplishments in your career so far?

I consider my greatest accomplishment not giving up in a poor economy. The past few years have been terrible for me. I lost my day job right before my first book came out three and a half years ago and have been struggling ever since. The fact that I haven’t stopped writing has saved my sanity and quite frankly made me feel better about myself for not giving up. Even though I can’t afford much advertising.


If you won the big lottery, what would you do with the money? Would give any of it to charity? If so, which one?

From the beginning I’ve contributed 10% of all my royalties to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. I would give 10% to them. I do this because it feels right. If I could spare anyone from suffering, it would be a child.

Other than that … it’d be great to pay my bills.


What is the best advice you want to give to a new writer?

Don’t do this because you want to get rich. You should only be in this business if you love it. Finding the time is hard. Listening to people critique a piece of your soul is harder. Learn to deal. If this is what you want to do, then do it with all of your heart. Just understand it won’t be easy. Then again, nothing worth doing ever is.


If you could choose an animal for a mascot, what animal would it be? What do you admire about this animal? Do you feel you have qualities similar to this animal? If so, what are they?

I would choose my dog Roscoe. He’s a Chihuahua and Dotson mix. I admire the fact that he’s so little and yet nothing scares him. He pushes forward like he’s the biggest, baddest dog on the block.

The world is a big place. I certainly hope I’m like him. Ha. Ha. Ha.


If money, education and fear factors were set aside, what three careers would you like to attempt other than writing?

Acting, martial arts instruction, and fashion designing.


If money, talent and fear were no object, what big adventure would you like to have?

I would love to go diving somewhere down in the Caribbean. If only I weren’t afraid of sharks and claustrophobic about diving equipment. lol


What characteristics do you like to instill in your heroes? What characteristics do you feel are necessary for a good heroine?

I like for all of my heroes to be compassionate, even if it’s only toward the heroine. I think compassion goes a long way to making someone sympathetic.

There is no one characteristic I think is necessary for a heroine to make her interesting. However, I do think it’s important that she not be a bitch. Other than that, there are all sorts of things that can make a woman interesting. I guess if I had to pick something it would be that she’s down to earth. Even if she has superpowers or other abilities, she needs to have real emotions, to feel things that most people can relate to.


If you had the power to change two things in the world, what would those two things be?

I would cure cancer and pay off the U.S. deficit.


If could have a super power for a day, what would it be? Why?

I would want the power of mind control … Um, do I have to say why? Muuwwwuhahahahaha.


Thanks again for having me. These are great questions! Some of them I’d never been asked before. I really enjoyed it.

Tracey

Grab life by the fangs

http://www.traceyhkitts.com/

 

Blurb:


She wanted to spend forever looking into his eyes. This time, she might get the chance.

Excerpt:

“Are you sure you want to be here?”

I stepped into the room and dropped my purse beside the door, closing it behind me with my foot.

“I’ve never wanted to be anywhere more.”

He leaned forward slowly, then faster than I could imagine he had me pressed back against the door. He lifted me with both the force of his body and the passion in his kiss. As I rose higher, whether by his vampire powers or those of his body, I did not know, I wrapped myself around him.

Whatever it was that Marcus did for me I didn’t want to lose it. I didn’t want to walk away from him and never feel again what I felt tonight. No one had ever touched me the way he did, and it had nothing to do with my body.

His hands slid beneath my shirt and I arched against him. I hungered for the feel of his skin against mine. My need for him was so sharp that it could easily have been considered pain. It was then that I glanced over his shoulder and noticed the drawings. Pictures of me. They were everywhere.

Marcus paused, sensing my distraction. He looked behind him.

“I’ve missed you,” he said softly.

He lowered me to the floor and I walked over to the bed. For several moments I was speechless. How could he possibly have gotten these? We didn’t use a camera that night. But as I drew closer I understood. They were drawings. Images of me lay spread out before him as my body once did.

“They’re beautiful,” I whispered.

I reached to touch one and felt him move closer against my back.

“This is how I remember you.”

My eyes stung with unshed tears. “I never looked like that.”

Marcus tilted my face up toward him. “You look like that now. That same look in your eyes. It took me years to get it right.”

He was killing me. Had I really left him? Why was it again I chose to stop seeing him? Looking into his pale green eyes, I couldn’t for the life of me remember.

“And what look is that?”

I knew he was going to kiss me again and felt my lips parting in anticipation as I rose on tiptoe to meet him. Despite the heels on my sandals, I still needed the extra lift. I expected him to say “desire” or “passion” or even “lust,” anything but …

“Love.”



No comments:

Post a Comment