Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Should A Villain Find Redemption?


Redemption of a Villain

Many authors have written a vile character into their stories that intercedes in the happiness of the main characters.  A well thought out villain can make the hero or heroine look more noble, smarter and brave.  The meaner, more intelligent and conniving, the better.  I like it best when the hero seems out-matched by the villain.  How will he ever win?  How can he ever overcome the tretchery and evil to save his heroine?  Yes!  I love that kind of villain.
But what if the villain comes to the crossroads of consequences of his/her evil ways and decides to seek redemption?  What?  A reformed villain?  How can that ever work?  Well, I, for one, think it might just work out perfectly.  Harmonica Joe’s Reluctant Bride has such a villain.  I’ll let the reader be the judge.


 A haunted house, a trunk and a date with destiny.

Harmonica Joe’s Reluctant Bride
By Sarah McNeal
Available at Western Trail Blazer Novels
Available at Amazon.com
Also available in print soon
Blurb:
Joseph Wilding left his prosperous Virginia ranch and his grieving father to live in obscurity and guilt over his brother’s death until he marries Lola instead of Callie McGraw, the woman he abhors but whose life he was attempting to save.
Lola discovers a warp in time in an old trunk when she falls into 1910.  She finds herself married to Joe, a stranger shadowed by secrets.  Mistaken for Callie McGraw, a thief and a woman of ill repute, Lola finds her life is threatened by a scoundrel who believes she stole his money and only Joe stands between her and death.
With danger threatening all around and secrets keeping them apart, can Joe and Lola
find their destiny together or will time and circumstance forever divide them?
Excerpt:
When she entered the dark confines of the saloon, she sensed right away that something was wrong.
Instead of the usual hum of conversation, silence prevailed, and there were no familiar greetings from the regular clientele when she entered the establishment.  The hair on the back of her neck stood on end and goose bumps ran up her arms. 
A rude hand grabbed the back of her dress and pulled her against a protruding belly.  She knew before he spoke that Weston was back in town.  “Did you miss me, Callie?”  He ran a heavy hand down her front and pinched her breasts.  “I been lookin’ forward to getting back here so we could have us some fun.”  His fetid breath filled the air around her with its sickening stench.
Lola gasped as he ran his hand lower.  Her thoughts bumped against each other in panic.  If only Joe had come in for a few minutes! But Joe was half way to Martin’s farm by now.  With sinking dread falling into her stomach, she realized she was on her own.  Bluster and lawyer talk might work.  “Let me go, Taylor, or I’ll sue you for assault and battery.”  Another thought passed through her mind and she added, “And sexual misconduct in a public establishment.”  Was there such a law? 
“Don’t you sass me now, Callie.  I’ve come to collect what belongs to me.  If I don’t git my money, I’m taking you with me and make you work it off.”  He gripped her tight around the waist and started making for the door when a voice called out, loud and clear halting his retreat.
“You let her go, Taylor.  That’s not Callie you fool.  Her name is Lola and she hasn’t done anything to you.  Let her go, I say.”  Banjo walked toward them with a big butcher knife in his hand that he must have picked up from under the bar.
Lola’s fear doubled into a knot that sat in her throat and threatened to cut off her breath.  “It’s okay, Banjo.  I’m okay.  I’ll just go along with Weston for now and we’ll talk things out.”  She took a shaky breath trying with all her might to summon up her courage.  “I’m sure, once I talk to him, he’ll know he has the wrong woman.”
“Get out of my way, you good for nothing snot nosed boy.  I ain’t got time for wet nursing right now.”  Weston spewed spittle when he talked turning Lola’s stomach until she thought she might throw up right then and there.
“Shut the hell up, Taylor.  Let her go, or I’ll put this knife right through your heart.”  Banjo inched closer and closer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment