Monday, May 7, 2012

Books that are becoming passe'...at least to this reviewer

Its me again...your friendly Diva reviewer. I told that I would be back. Today I was gonna touch on what genres/sub-genres that right now, kinda bore me. Please don't throw things at me. Remember, its just my opinion. I have some good news to share. I've hired some reviewers to Harlie's Book Blog. Their reviews should post sometime next month. I have a request form on the blog and I'm getting 1-2 requests every other day now and I can't keep up. Trust me, I'm not complaining but I've wanted to expand the blog for some time now and that time is now.

The blog will also be converted to a Word Press platform and sometime this summer, it will fully convert to www.harliesbooks.com. I've got everything done for that but the conversion to WP. *sigh* Still waiting on the designer.


Here's a list of a couple that right now are kinda boring:

1. Ménage-I love a good ménage but I want it to mean something. Bring me the emotional connection between the characters. Anyone can have sex so show me how the emotions play into the relationship. Is there jealousy, feeling left out of the equation, or is the ménage just based on the sex? My biggest peeve is when an author builds up a ménage relationship and then BAM…someone is left out. What is worse about that is, the relationship that I invested in continues for the left out person in another book. Please, don’t do this. Make either the ménage be a committed relationship or a one shot deal. Unfortunately, I have stopped reading authors that do this.


2. BDSM-I realize that this particular sub-genre is hot right now because of 50 Shades but I have read some bad BDSM before but I am finding that authors are just throwing in certain aspects of BDSM and then labeling it BSDM. I have written a short story that has the hero tying up the heroine but I wouldn’t label it “true” BDSM. They don’t live the lifestyle nor do they want to. It is just an aspect of their bedroom repertoire they use every occasionally.


3. The “Friends to Lovers” troupe-Yes, my current WIP is this particular troupe but the conflict that I built in my story is not necessarily the conflict with each other but how the town effects their relationship and defines who and what they are as individuals. Don’t bring in the ex-whatever to break them up and then have them work it out. Boring…


4. As a reviewer, the length of the story has never bothered me. Some short stories have packed enough characterization/conflict/sex for me. Then there are some long novels that have bored me to tears.


5. Too much sex-I know what you are thinking. Yes, there can be too much sex in a book. As a reader of erotic romance and erotic shorts, I can be bored with it. I like a story with characters that I can connect with, care about, and cheer for in the end. Sex is sex and anyone can have it, so leaving out the gratuitous sex for sex sake’s would be great.


I'm sure that you are probably thinking...wow, maybe you shouldn't read a book anymore, much less review them.  Trust me, I've thought about it.  Most bloggers/reviewers have thought about it.  Reviewers/bloggers don't get paid for the work we do and sometimes, we want to chunk it all, just like writers do. 

We review because we love books.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

I'm sure that I will be crucified for my opinion.  Feel free.  I'm feeling a little feisty right now. 

Until next month...

Harlie (Marika)

No comments:

Post a Comment