Monday, May 14, 2012

Why We Watch It Over and Over

Ever thought about why we watch a movie or show over and over again? As a writer I'm very aware of doing this and there are certain movies I will do this with. Being a romance writer primarily, I like movies that can offer a little of everything. I just finished watching The Mask of Zorro several times. Now not only did I watch this movie several times, but every time it came on my cable this month. Why? As a writer I find it has all the elements that are needed and wanted in a good romance. Of course we all love a heroic hero that sets the stage, the fact that he's handsome helps too. The fact that he has a sense of humor, that he has weaknesses like vanity and inability to control some emotions (in this one it was his very strong emotion, hate). But digging deeper, I had to admit that the heroine was no whinny butt woman, she had strength of character, a sense of humor, a love of romance, and a touch of daring do. The plot evolved around saving the people of California, but there were emotional plots running at the same time, Diego had lost his daughter, the new Zorro was battling his hatred for his enemy and falling in love at the same time. The heroine was facing a unknown past which was quickly catching up with her. In all areas, this movie captures your heart. The music as well brought it all together and romanced you. I am completely in love with the movie, it has it all for me and I can sit and watch it over and over, not only that but it inspires me to write more romance, with better heroes and heroines.


Another movie that captures my heart in a different way is Shennadoah with Jimmy Stewart. It's all about family and the price that war causes us to have to pay. Since I write books that are family oriented I find that this movie helps me recapture what family is about. A man with many children tries to ride out the Civil War without taking sides. While forces beyond his control forces him and his family into action. This story is about the emotional struggles of how they handle the hardships and deal with the emotional pull. Who can sit through the scene of Jimmy Stewart beating a sixteen year old Rebel up because he killed his oldest son, and then tells him, "I'm not gonna kill you. I want you to live. I want you to live to be an old, old man, and have many, many children. And when someone comes along and kills one of them…I want you to remember." If you can sit through that scene without crying with Stewart you must have a heart of stone. IF you'd don't feel for Stewart and the kid who killed his son, I'd be shocked.

These are only two examples of movies that bring something to my writng and fill my heart with gladness that I watched them again. There are many others, as I'm sure you have your favorites too.

On the darker side, I like Sleeping With the Enemy. That is one of the first movies that captures the essence of living with a real fear. It's the fear itself that captures me. This woman was abused by her husband, and finally sees a way to flee and make a new life for herself. She thinks the escape through thoroughly for she knows he will follow if she doesn't. The one mistake I think she makes is throwing her wedding ring away too soon and at home. That I wouldn't have ever done. But what really cinches the fear inside her is her knowing his craziness, like putting all the towels in a row at perfect length, and putting the vegetables up in the cabinet perfectly each time. This captures the problem of abuse so well and shows the fear so well. I can watch and rewatch it, and again, the music also like another movie I think of (Jaws) captures the mood and carries it through.

I'll bet all of you have your favorites and reasons for wanting to watch them over and over too. Share it with us today as we explore movies.

Don't miss my newest historical interracial western coming soon, Ask No Tomorrows, coming soon at Smashwords.








No comments:

Post a Comment