Sunday, May 27, 2012

What's Your Brand? And what is that, anyway?


My new Brand...or not?

An author is known by her Voice. But promo is often the tool that gets you recognized.
And branding is an interpretation of the artist's Voice.
Isn't it?
I have heard so many speak of Brand. Few have defined it well for me. The speakers have included editors, authors and agents. Everyone thinks they know.
I submit FEW REALLY DO!
I would say it is that definable look and words, if any are needed, that capture who you are and what you represent when a reader picks up your books. Branding is not only a feel, but a statement about your essence. It represents your world view that comes out in your writing.  Your brand must connote an attitude and a concept of who you are and what you convey in work after work.
Few writers can declare that, IMHO, when they first begin to publish. In fact, I think it takes at least 5-10 books before you can truly define what it is you tell your readers, work after work, time after time.
ME? What do I convey to my readers in my themes, premises and morals?
First and foremost, I tell them that marvelous, invention, tender sex is a vital component of any love affair.
I have lived that. I believe that.
Next? I would say I tell them that, hey, life ain't easy, but if you work hard, be good to yourself and to others, you not only deserve a great love affair but also a loving long-term relationship.
Finally, I would say I imply to my readers that love enriches your life. Finding one to love who loves you as a worthy mate is a worthwhile endeavor. And yep, there are a lot of potential partners out there who are not worth your time!
But what about your brand? How to define yourself?
Combing all your elements into one visual is a huge challenge. As one who worked in advertising and PR for decades, I know this from the very practical end, wherein a client would yearn for a Brand. But could he put his finger on  not only what he was, but what distinguished him from others in his industry?
Few could.
I had to dig deep to get it right. I want to say I did, because I owned my own PR business for 21 years.  But now to consider a Branding change for myself is another turn!
What is it?
This pix at left of the blonde was one that Nicole Austin (www.nicoleaustin.com) chose for me when she designed the Sassy Seven website.
Now I wonder, do you like caricatures as expressions of authors or do you like something else, like my cherry as a substitute?
I think the cherry is me. It is bright. Upright. Perky. But not too smart that it hits you in the face. It says, Cerise, red, cherry, succulent, tasty. All those things I think my books are!
The blonde up there? She says, sophisticated. Okay. I will say that's me. So is my writing. I'd say she looks like she is nice, but not too aggressive. Okay, me too!
But is she CERISE? More than the cherry?
Tell me.
One person who posts and give me food for thought gets to choose one book from my backlist:
MIA DOLCE
CARRIED AWAY

No comments:

Post a Comment