Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Romance Deal Breakers




          What are your romance deal breakers? I’m talking about offenses so horrific you will put a book down without finishing it. Forever. I know, harsh.

            I’m one of those people who grew up reading anything and everything. As a child I would read cereal boxes if my mom wouldn’t let me bring my book to the table. As a tween I trudged through Uncle Tom’s Cabin even though I hated it. I had already read all the classics assigned in high school before I got there. Kids used to meet me in the hall and ask, “Have you read this? What’s it about?” Yes, I was a living Cliff’s Note.

            Since I have become the mother of tweens I no longer can simply muddle through. Some things stop me cold. Have the tweens murdered my tolerance? I don’t know.

            As a young adult I loved a historical romance novel where the husband takes his wife by force. (It wasn’t part of their mutual fetish. That is a different kettle of fish.) I was really young so I will give myself a break. If I had come across the same scene today I would have closed the book and possibly thrown it away or at someone.




           I don’t like infidelity. If the main characters are cheating on each other and it isn’t for their mutual pleasure, I stop reading. Other forms of fiction are different. I can handle a clandestine affair or two if there isn’t necessarily going to be a big HEA.

            Unless the story is a ménage, (I do read and love them.) I don’t want to actually read about the characters having sex with other people. Just mention it as an aside if it is important. Other than that, nope.

            Have I become too picky? Maybe, but everyone has their own set of likes and dislikes. What are your romance deal breakers?
Stormie

No comments:

Post a Comment