Monday, April 30, 2012

Interview With Cover Model JASON BACA!


I am SO honored to have cover model Jason Baca join me for my inaugeral blog here! He has very graciously agreed to provide one lucky commenter an autographed photo, so please join us and comment away!

Everyone talks about “The Call,” that initial contact stating “you’re in.” What was YOURS like? The first call/first job? Who did you tell first? How did you celebrate?
Jason – Well I didn’t get a call but instead…an email. But yes, it was a very exciting email to receive. I told a bunch of people but I didn’t want to get too excited about it until I saw the actual cover of the book with me on it. I knew how they could very easily drop me if the photos turned out bad.

What’s the best (& worst) things about the job?
Jason – The best thing about this job is that I can do all the things I enjoy such as biking,weight lifting, and running around and it all qualifies as things I should be doing for this. I mean, I need to stay in shape for these covers. It’s the perfect job for me.
The worst thing would be that a lot of people view me as narcissistic which I am anything but. I do take care of my body and live inside a balanced diet but I am not that term. I consider myself a very down to earth individual. 

 What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about your job that you’d like to set straight?
Jason – That I am that character they read in the book or that in their minds, they view me as that knight in shining armor. I am someone inside, someone that has all the feelings and senses like a normal person. You may even find that our lives are comparable. I do enjoy pizza and ice cream when I’m allowed to have it.

 What would a “typical work day” be for you? What-all is involved?
Jason – Well I bring myself up from bed, stretch and drink 16 ounces of Pure Spring Water with fresh cucumber slices. After I finish stretching, I enter my bathroom for my shower and cleansing session. I consider this morning ritual to be a spa or deep skin therapy session that I will conduct on my own.  I make sure to take a hot shower so that my pores open. I use Shea Butter body wash then Olay’s Exfoliating Spa Scrub. Then I use St.Ives Moisturizing Body Wash to rehydrate my skin. This will also penetrate deep into my pores. For my face I use Clean & Clear’s Morning Burst. I follow that up with a deep action cream cleanser and then finally an Even Tone Cleanser.
  After the shower I use an anti-aging eye balm around the eyes. Then I use a dual action moisturizer followed by Clinique’s Dramatically Moisturizing Lotion.. Then finally Finishes Pore Perfecting Moisturizer.
   On these days that I have shoots I make sure not to miss a single step in all of this. I want my face looking its absolute best. I know that I want a person to be lured over to where my author’s book is because of my face and body. They will be singing “For you are a magnet and I am steel.”

What was your most memorable/proudest moment?
Jason – Well it was actually in high school baseball when I hit the game winning homerun. It was a walk off homerun that was something I’ll never forget.

      Any funny “blooper” moments you’d like to share?
Jason – Sure there have been some good ones. The one that stands out to me was the time when they had me in a crouched position in the studio and the overhead lighting came down on me from like 8 feet up! Yeah, it didn’t feel so great that’s for sure.

What advice would you give a “newbie” looking to break into the profession?
Jason – Just to not give up hope with all this. It can be a very frustrating journey but it can also have its joys. Hey if this was an easy career then everyone would be a cover guy on a book. Pursuing a career such as this requires great patience because it’s not something anyone can do.

8  Athletes are “ambassadors of the sport.” We in the industry also represent not just our professions but the industry as a whole. Every time we meet people, we leave an impression, not just of ourselves. When you meet people, what message do you hope to portray? What impression do you hope to leave?
Jason – Well first of all, when I meet people I do not blurt out what I do for a living. I always let them figure this stuff out on their own. I hope that I leave an impression that I’m a nice guy that is down to earth. A person that doesn’t think he’s better then the next. It’s funny because after they realize things then they are like Wow... You are a nice fellow…

 Are you planning on any “public appearances” this year where fans can meet you?  RT? RWA?
 Jason – There is a STRONG possibility that I will be making an appearance at a couple this year. There is also a Silicon Valley Romance Convention that I heard about though they haven’t been in touch with me which I find odd since this is where I live.

Do you have an agent where someone may book you for a cover?

Jason – Yes actually, they would go through Halvorson Model Mgmt. Here is the website - http://www.hmmodels.com/model.asp?modelID=395

    Do you have stock photos that can be used by independent romance authors or self published authors?
Jason – Yes, anyone that would like to use photos from past shoots that didn’t get used can go through this website - http://www.theauthorsredroom.com/stock-photography/jason-baca/

No comments:

Post a Comment