Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Reviewer's Thoughts


Woo Hoo!  Its finally here!  My first official post as a Sweet N Sexy Diva.  I'm sure that most of yall are wondering what I'm doing on the blog.  Well, Tina had an open call for more divas and I answered the call.  To my utter amazement, Tina said sure and welcome aboard.  A reviewer would be different to have as a Sweet N Sexy Diva.  Something new and different.  Oh and can I review a book once a month and post it?  Sure, you bet I can. 

For some of you that don't know who I am, my name is Marika Weber.  I'm the owner of Harlie's Books, a review blog.  I used to review for The Romance Studio, Night Owl Reviews and several other sites.  I decided that I couldn't keep up with my own blog and review for everyone else.  So now, I only review on my blog.  When I made the decision, I felt cleansed in some ways.  Its hard work to review and then post the review on deadline for the sites.  Then, I had my own reviews to do and post.  And I do all of this for no money. 

For almost a year, I didn't read anything that I truly wanted to read for my own pleasure.  It was all for review.  I missed reading my own books and authors that I kept up with.  For example, I'm so far behind on the Brotherhood series by JR Ward that I may never catch up.  I've missed some debut novels from authors that I followed on other blogs, Facebook and Twitter.  I shamed myself the other day when I realized that JD Tyler is Jo Davis.  Jo Davis wrote one of the hottest firefighter series around and now she is writing paranormal.  I also missed Nora Roberts new series (have the book), still have her Wedding Series to finish, too.  Trying to catch up has been a chore but I'll eventually get there. 

I miss the joy of reading sometimes.  I realize that most of you probably think that is weird coming from a book reviewer but it is.  When I review, yes I do read the book but I read it from completely different angle.  I look for continuity, fluidity, content, did I connect with the characters, did I even like the characters and pacing.  I'm not a reviewer that looks for grammar, spelling and to see if on one page the eyes are blue and then the next chapter they're green.  That's an editor/proofreader's job, not mine. 

If you have ever read one my reviews or have been reviewed by me, you know I don't do spoilers.  Have you ever had one of your books reviewed and the reviewer completely spoiled it for the reader?  Oooo that just pisses me off!  Honestly, I have books that I are on my Nook that I never read because I read a review and before it was too late, the reviewer spoiled the whole book.  Needless to say, I don't go to that review site anymore.  :)

So in closing (sounds formal, doesn't it?), this me somewhat in a nutshell.  As my grandmother used to say, "Peel an onion, there are many layers."  I really have more to say but my time is short and I'm sure that most of yall are asleep by now.  If you want to get in touch, I'll leave my linkage at the bottom. 

I want to thank Tina again and don't worry about me posting a review...at least not yet.  Come back next month and I will bore you with what (sub) genres I think are over done/tired and just getting boring.  As a reviewer of most anything, there are alot right now.  See you on the 7th next month.

Twitter:  @marika67
Facebook:  Marika Weber
Good reads:  Marika Weber/Brian's Mom
Amazon:  Brian's Mom (reviews)
http://harliebooks.blogspot.com - review blog
www.maw25.wordpress.com -regular blog

No comments:

Post a Comment