Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy April Fool's Day!

Courtesy Photos.com

April Fool’s Day supposedly began in 1582 when King Charles IX of France adopted the Gregorian calendar and changed the new year to January 1. News traveled slowly in the 16th century and some didn’t get the royal decree, forgot the new year began on January 1 or refused to acknowledge the change. Other people made fun of them by giving them silly gifts or inviting them to fake parties. The people being pranked were called “poisson d’avril” or “April fish.”

I’m not really a prank kind of person. I sometimes think they can be cruel. While I was trying to think of a post for today I realized something important. I have been pranking myself for the last month.

I have been ill lately and I haven’t had much energy. I go to the everyday job (EDJ), take care of the kid’s activities, run errands for the family and either work excessively at night on the EDJ or fall into a hopeless drained sleep. Needless to say, I haven’t had much time for writing. And of course the negative self talk started.

“I’m a slacker.”

“I’ll never write again.”

“I won’t ever finish my revisions.”

You get the idea. I became progressively more down as the weeks passed and I couldn’t find the energy or the time to write. I began to believe the negative self talk. I’d fooled myself. That kind of thinking couldn’t continue. You see, finishing my ebook, Enslaved in Desire, carried me through one of the most painful times in my life. I was happy when circumstances said I shouldn't have been. Only the birth of my children made me happier.

So, today I have decided to take a note from those “April fish” and begin my new year on April 1st. So here are my resolutions:

1.     When my body needs rest: sleep.

2.     Write a little even when I think I don’t have the time. (Why, because I love it and don’t like the quality of my life without it.)

3.     Tell my negative self talk to take a hike.

Could you use a new year restart? Go pre 16thcentury and begin again on April 1st.

Stormie

 http://www.stormiekent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment