Monday, April 30, 2012

Greetings from Your Newest Diva!

I was SO happy to be welcomed to the family, and I've been trying to decide if I'm Sweet or Sexy! <LOL> I guess I'm kind of sweet and kind of sassy, and I write sassy and sexy. In real life I'm a typical Midwestern working mom in central WI. Two middle-school kids and a full-time day job, balancing two horses with figure skating and flute lessons. Always running somewhere, usually feeling a half-step behind! In my house, coffee is almost a religion. Dark roast, with cinnamon.

I'm a practical, boots-and-jeans kind of gal. Writing always supercedes housework! (Horse work also supercedes housework...)


As a writer, I write award-winning fantasy romance for Samhain Publishing in a series called the Guardians of Light - Duality, Hedda's Sword, Lycan Tides, Dust of Dreams and Riever's Heart. I'm a Tolkien & Joseph Campbell groupie, and have developed a reputation for solid world-building.  I like strong, sassy heroines and complex beta heroes. I love putting a lot on their plates and challenging them do the ONE thing they thought they'd never do. I don't give them what they want, but in the end they always get what they really need.

I'm a plotter, not a pantser, and I edit as I go, even in rough drafts, which makes me slow. I constantly tweak and layer. I SUCK at NaNo! <LOL>

The make-or-break in romance is character chemistry, not just of the hero and heroine. I like a broad palette of characters. At every encounter, no matter how small, interactions are fueled by conflict. Everyone risks something to lose, everyone has something to learn. They fight and challenge. They listen and bend and grow.  For the hero and heroine, it's a dance. Eyes, a glance. Hands, a touch. Voice, a whisper. It's retreat and chase. It's opposites and the unexpected. It's the staus quo turned on its ear. Duality isn't just a title, it's a concept I blend with the Hero's Journey throughout the series. My guiding light.



I look forward to hanging out with you and sharing my little corner of the universe in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment