Sunday, May 6, 2012

The timeless allure of fairytales

What is it about a fairytale that captures the imagination and never lets it go? We hear them for the first time in our childhood, and they enchant most of us. Some more than others, of course. I remember reading Cinderella repeatedly when I was a little girl, and even had a very cool recording of it that was my favourite to listen to, as well. I don’t know if it’s the whole Prince Charming thing, or the fact that it’s the poor little cinders girl who becomes his princess, but the tale is timeless and endlessly appealing.

The stories of our childhood resonate through our imaginations forever, I think. My first adventure story was Ali Baba, I loved all of the Brothers Grimm stories, even though the more subtle aspects of their dark side wasn’t something I saw or understood until my adult years. There is magic in these stories because they’ve become an accepted part of our universal consciousness over time.

Recently, I was asked a couple of times to consider re-writing a traditional fairytale for an adult audience. I wasn’t sure precisely how to go about it, but I was in–the result has been two of my best-selling books. The first one is called FAVOLA, which is the Italian word for fable. The basis of this story is an Italian fairytale called Bella Venezia, which combines many elements found in fairytales we’re all more familiar with, and I’ve left the short version of the tale at the end of the book. A very good friend of mine, and a popular singer in Italy, had written and recorded a song called Favola, and he gave me permission to use part of it when I did the video trailer for this book. The cover model is a friend of mine in Rome. So, it was a very special and fun book. You can have a peek at it at the end of this post, and of course on my website pages.

New Dawning Book Fair, one of my best publishers, put out a call for fairytales, too. This time I chose Cinderella, and the story was called GLASS SLIPPERS AND JEWELED MASQUES. To my amazement, this story has been the #1 best-seller on the publisher site for months on end, and the reviews have been fabulous.

So, it seems no matter how old we get, our fairytales remain, even if they do change a little in context. I hope you’ll check out my first two, and know there will be more in future because Damn! This is FUN!!

FAVOLA: Re-telling a fairytale for an adult audience:

Available now:

http://www.xoxopublishing.com/Products/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Denyse%20Bridger&product_id=118

Genre: EROTIC romance/fairytale

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xPiAM-ELis

Blurb:

In the town of Favola, a prince and a lovely girl imprisoned by her mother's jealousy find passion and love... but will it be enough to outsmart the machinations and fury that their devotion inspires in the beautiful Bella Venezia? An Italian fairytale is re-told for an adult audience....


WONDERFUL reviews for Glass Slippers and Jeweled Masques!! I'm so thrilled!!

http://www.amazon.com/Slippers-Jeweled-Cinderella-Fairytale-ebook/product-reviews/B0053DT1NG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.twolipsreviews.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6233&Itemid=36

http://cindyjacks.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-cindy-reads-glass-slippers-and.html?zx=8559a210a220a543


Available NOW from New Dawning International Book Fair -
BUY it HERE

About the book:

Cindi Lancourte is the illegitimate daughter of a powerful businessman and a lovely woman who worked for him. Acknowledged when his wife died, she was quickly relegated to the role of servant by his new wife and step-daughters, but an invitation to a Masquerade gives this Cinderella a new shot at happiness with a handsome Prince Charming.

* * * WIN THE BOOKS * * *
Leave a comment, and tomorrow morning I'll grab a random name and send you the two fairytales I've talked about here!

Denysé
Denysé Bridger
WEBSITE: http://www.denysebridger.com
Fantasy Pages (general): http://fantasy-pages.blogspot.com
Bound By Passion (adult content): http://boundpassion.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment