Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Making the Switch is Difficult


I'm going to try not to bore you today with my dribble and troubles.  I'm finding that making the switch from blogger/reviewer to author extremely hard.  Most of the time, I'm met with laughter, patronizing comments and then just being ignored.  Don't feel too bad for me.  According to a reviewer that I know that made the switch, its harder than I thought it would be.

Many people view me as a reviewer and that's what they like to see.  Not me as an author.  But I beg to differ on that.  Reviewing is a form of writing.  My reviews are generally over 300 words and I have to say everything that I liked or didn't like in a book without spoilers.  Its not as easy as it sounds.  In fact sometimes to just plain old hard to write a concise, well thought review.  Tim's post the other day was brilliant about reviewing.  

When I blog at Sweet N Sexy Divas that is also a form of writing.  As most people here can tell you, thinking of your once a month post can be a challenge.  What is the topic about?  Do I just promo this month?  Share personal things? Review a book?  Writing comes in all forms, not just a book.

The ugly truth that I'm finding out is that I'm not one of the "cool" people hurts.  I didn't set out to become one of the "cool" people when I decided to write but it hurts none the less.  Shoot, I'd like to not be laughed out for a day.  Trying to build my name up as an author is hard.  I've been turned down by more blog sites like Sweet N Sexy Divas in the last week that I have lost track of the sites that I applied for to blog.  Plus, I won't even get into my troubles with finding a CP or even a beta reader for the stuff I'm working on now.  Again, its the patronizing and pat on the head that makes me want to scream.  I had a frustration breakdown about two weeks ago in front of my husband.  He's first reaction, he wanted to beat everyone up but then when I tried to explain everything, he just hugged me and told me that everything would work out in time.  I haven't cried that hard in a long time.

I have attached my cover so you can see that yes, Virginia, its real.  I wrote a book and it releases in December.  I'm very proud of the "little book that could".  Its a short, spicy story about a couple that meet at a bar.  If I said anymore, I would spoil it.

Marika Weber w/a Harlie Williams
www.harliewilliams.com


No comments:

Post a Comment