Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Platypus & Other Things I'm Thankful For


With Thanksgiving just a few days away, I am going to share some of the things I am thankful for:

I am thankful that since Hollywood has already bastardized Bewitched there doesn’t appear to be any news that they’ll turn Cheers into a movie, starring Kristen Stewart. Because that shit would be so wrong, on so many levels.

I am thankful my husband does not have a Twitter account so he can’t make good on his threat to Tweet: Things my wife says and does, that have to be seen and heard to believe.”

I am thankful for Donald Duck getting frisky with a beaver and procreating the platypus. Every time I read the word, platypus, it makes me smile. I like to smile. I’m thankful I can smile.

I am thankful for the 86,400 seconds I have every single day, living.

I am thankful for Google, as it allowed me to search how many seconds there are in a day because it makes me look smart. Doesn’t it?

I am thankful for the delete button on my keyboard which seems to have magic powers of its own. The Magic Big D (as I like to call it) has shielded me from a horrible fate, after I’ve pressed it and abolished chain emails.

I am thankful for my critique partners who don’t call the Waaamhbulance any time I sink into the I sucketh cave.” 

I am thankful for my brothers and sister who told me I must have been adopted, (just because I’m the quiet and shy one in the family and the only one with freckles). This comes in handy when they do something odd and I can pull out the: I’m not related to them card.

I am thankful to Al Gore for inventing the Internet as I’ve met and chatted with wonderful, funny and supportive people.

I am thankful for my husband’s quick wit:

Me while in the kitchen, baking: ”Honey, can you bring me a pen and paper, I have stuff coming out of my head.”

Hubby: ”Don’t you usually use a Kleenex for that?”

I am thankful to the Queen of England who recently celebrated her Jubilee, as it gave my husband more opportunity to make me smile.

Me: ”I think they should call it the Cherry Jubilee, sounds more interesting.”

Hubby: “That would be the Dairy Queen.”

I am thankful to my parents who sailed the ocean blue so many years ago, leaving their motherland behind and giving us a healthy, good life on this side of the ocean. (Although, if the Internet were around back then, they could have Googled the weather and may have boarded a ship heading to a warmer area.)

Most of all, I am thankful for:

The ability to love and receive love.

For being me.

My family—blood-related and bonus family members.

Friendships.

For my eighth grade teacher who gave me the nickname Scout after one of my favorite fictional characters, and encouraged me to write.

For the readers who plunk down their hard-earned money to buy my books.

To my author friends, the ones I connect with and chat with and authors who I’ve never chatted with, but appreciate their talent as they give me endless reading joy.

I know, this is sounding like an Oscar speech, but, “You like me, really like me. Don’t you?” :)

Our fur baby, he’s a great listener.

For all the unsung heroes: sanitary workers, farmers, doctors, nurses, police, fire fighters,  military men & women, volunteer workers, daycare workers, teachers, the Spanx inventor…(the list is endless).

Thankful for all of you who have stuck with me today and read this far.

From our home to your homes, wishing you a happy, healthy, smiling, Thanksgiving that will last throughout the whole year.


Genre-defying, witty, humorous, suspenseful, romantic and sexy— words used to describe Selena’s novels. A self-professed foodie and chocolate guru, Selena loves to dance with her dog, sing into her hairbrush and write in her PJ’s. In love with her family, friends, books, laughter, hockey, lively discussions and red wine (sometimes all at the same time). Selena is a dragon slayer who enjoys reading and writing sassy heroines and hot heroes (the ones your mamma warned you about, but secretly wished she’d dated a few in her life).

Selena Robins is the author of the contemporary, romantic-comedy with a splash of suspense and a good helping of sensuality; WHAT A GIRL WANTS and a short story; TEMPTED BY AN ANGEL.

For more information, please visit Selena on her website or drop by and chat with her on her blog (Selena Robins Musings).




No comments:

Post a Comment