Friday, November 9, 2012

Slowing Down

I've been taking a good long look at my writing career lately and have come to the conclusion that I try to do too much, too fast. I've always had a bit of a competitive streak, even if I'm only competing with myself, but that's led to me having too many books out and not enough time to effectively promote them. And promoting is a necessary part of being a published author.

I've also kind of lost some of the joy I used to have in writing. It used to be enough to just sit down and watch the story pour out onto the screen, but now sometimes I get stressed about whether said story will be contracted, whether anyone will buy it, whether my career will be over because all my publishers will hate me, etc. Low self-confidence, thy name is publication.

So I've decided to try--again--to slow things down a little. I say again because I made the same vow at the end of 2011, and yet by the end of 2012 I'll have had *more* releases than I did last year. Even though I was supposed to have fewer. I'm going to write and submit fewer stories going forward, because I'm going to take time to do other things, as well as to just write stories for the fun of it. Writing used to be fun, and if it stops being fun, I'll know I'm finished with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment