Sunday, June 5, 2011

Swag



What does the reader do with all the swag handed out? How does an author justify what to spend hard earned dough on. ROI- Return of Investment, needs to happen between six months preferrably to one year. That's just not for swag alone, but also for your website, maintenence, postage, any purchase you've made.

I've heard many different takes on what to buy and what not to buy. I've looked at hundreds of sites and come up with my own system that I spend minimal money on and hope to earn back during within a few months.

Romance Trading Cards- Are very popular and I have a set being designed for me now by my cover artist for Makhi who does design work on the side for extra income. I get to be her test subject for new endeavors and love it!



Key Chains- I've heard don't buy they get tossed. I've also heard readers do like them. I don't order them from a site, I order the round stickers from a site and buy the keychain casings in bulk from Michaels Craft for less than five bucks.

Buttons- I've heard the same, some like some don't. I also buy the casings in bulk from Michaels Craft for less than five bucks.

For Buttons and Key Chains to order on line one will const around six bucks to make and then for or five bucks a piece.

Chapstick- Is new to me I'd been searching for months for something less than two bucks a tube and finally was shown a site that ships them label free for twenty eight cents a tube and is made of beeswax and natural ingredients.

Vista Print- I love VP when they have their 'free' offerings. Note that 'Free' isn't really free. As long as you use their basic designs it's free. Once you load up a picture or cover art for anyone of their 'free items' it's a 4.99 charge.

Lately I've been surfing gotprint.com for bulk or even turning to Office Max to do the postcards.

BookMarks? I've heard don't buy they get tossed in the trash quick. A lot of readers are now doing mainly ereaders and less print so I haven't decided what to do there.

BookTethers? Are fun for giveaways. I've made a few still working on making them prettier! Small photo charm from Michaels Craft fits in the cover and has a plastic casing to protect it.





Mugs-Tee's and Mouse Pads- I've heard no on mouse pads, mugs are liked generally and tee shirts as long as they have a witty line or two for the series are great.

Personal Hales gifts? Twice a year I'll do a small giveaway of handmade soaps or a basket of them from a local soap shop that I love or something pertaining to Missouri that isn't found elsewhere. Since I do that and give out their cards, the give me sample soaps sometimes for free to bag and mail with promo.



Kansas/Missouri funstuffs~ Wizard of Oz card decks, shot glasses, tee's and Missouri made chocolate candy coated sunflowerseeds



Pens and Pencils? I found a site for pens 500 for 75 bucks and 300 pencils for 69 bucks. I haven't ordered them yet but I'm thinking about it.

What are some of your thoughts on swag?

No comments:

Post a Comment