Thursday, June 9, 2011

To E or not to E? That is the question.



Anyone who has seen TV or paid any attention to the publishing world knows that there has been a boom in ebook readers. Whether you are a fan or the Kindle, the Nook, or the iPad, or even the older EBookwise, like I have, you are already on board with the ebook craze.



Now, many people are moaning and complaining that this means the end of the printed book. I think that the publishing industry needs to take a good hard look at what is going, and adjust accordingly or perish. Many have already done this. Many authors are taking advantage of this new technology and publishing their own older backlists themselves and getting to keep the large majority of the proceeds.




To me, this is all good news! Why can't we have both mediums side by side? Do we really have to have one or the other? I don't think so. I own both paperbacks and an ereader. Each has its time and place.
PhotobucketI like to tuck a paperback into my purse when I go to a doctor's office or on a road trip with hubby driving. This way, if I drop my purse, I don't have to worry about breaking my ereader. If I lose or damage th book, I can buy another one easily.
I like my ereader when reading in bed. It is backlit and doesn't disturb my husband since I don't need to turn on the lamp. I also prop it up on my treadmill and walk while I read and I don't have to worry about keeping the pages flat.

So, why not have both? Each market can have a piece of the pie and satisfy us all. Print or electronic book...they're all good!

~Diane
http://www.dianewylie.com/




Author of Romance and Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment