Saturday, July 2, 2011

Are authors the Same As Other Readers? by Dawn Kunda

Are Authors the Same as Other Readers?



Is there something special about the way an author reads?  Yes and no.  Not a definitive answer, but let me explain.

Every author should enjoy the time to read for pleasure and to learn more.  The enjoyment part is easy, whereas to learn comes from reading the same genre as I write.  This clues me in on current trends and of what is acceptable in the category I write.

It’s hard to read without analyzing a story.  I may wonder “how the author got away with this scene!” or “that was a creative idea!” or “hm…I would’ve chosen a different verb here!”    

I’ve also spoken with authors who state they don’t have the time to read anymore.  I’m sure since those discussions they’ve dug up some time because who can stay away from peeking into the windows of another world too long?

Overall, authors read, read, read and love another world as much as anyone.  Yet, a backstage pass to the development of a story is exciting, too!

Court of Lies

Blurb
Dawn Kunda


  Brooke's attempt to start a new life with a career and love is shot to pieces as her ex-husband lurks around every corner of change.


Court of Lies

Excerpt
Dawn Kunda



Chapter 13

“What the hell are we doing here?” Ty demanded with a slight slur.
“Calm down. I have a reason for getting you in here this quickly. It’ll work to your advantage,” District Attorney Sabin said.
“You need to get me out of here now,” Marla’s rattled voice added.
Remaining low key, District Attorney Sabin responded, “You both know you’re on the list of suspects?” He turned his attention to Marla, didn’t wait for an answer, and continued with a severe look. “You may have to give up a couple days of work, but this will be better than a whole lot of years.”
After a minute’s delay, Marla wiped the worried look from her face and said with defiance, “Many years? You sound as if you already have it figured out that we’re responsible for this horrible shooting. Maybe I shouldn’t be here period.”
Ty followed her lead. “I don’t want to be here long, either. Considering what we’ve been through, Attorney Sabin,” he stated snidely, “What makes you think you have the right to bring me in here without payback?”
   

No comments:

Post a Comment