Friday, July 1, 2011

Interview with Charisma Knight!!

Please give us your website addy, a list of your books and a short bio.


Hi, my website address is http://charismaknight.yolasite.com

My list of books are as follows:

Of Wolf’s Blood - Amira Press

Five Black Roses - Shara Azod, LLC

Menage Unchained – Beautiful Trouble Publishing

Dark Hearts of Charm City – Sugar and Spice Press

Alone – 25 Days of Christmas Anthology from Silver Publishing

Revealing Thorn – Bad Boys Inc. Anthology from Amira Press

Spiritwalker – Sugar and Spice Press

My Serbian Wolf – Amira Press

Just an Average Vampire – Amira Press

Daywalker – Sugar and Spice Press

Soul Seduction – Eirelander Publishing

The Beast Within – Sugar and Spice Press

Her Dark Desires – Sugar and Spice Press


Charisma's stories are highly erotic and laced with a wild edge that will have you wriggling in your seat. Be warned. You will also discover she sometimes walk on the darker side, leaving you clinging between this realm and the next.


How do you usually come up with a story idea? Dreams? Writer’s journal? Eavesdropping on conversations? Newpaper?

Many of my story ideas evolve from a mixture of fantasies, dreams, visions, and from some parts of relationships.


Who or what inspires you when your creative mojo is lagging?

When the mojo isn’t sizzling, I’m inspired by music.


Who is your Yoda—your seasoned mentor?

Ah, there is one in particular, and her name is Dahlia Rose. She’s been in the industry for quite some time now and I’ve had the opportunity of picking her brain.


What importance do you place on writing workshops? What workshops would you recommend to us?

Honestly, I haven’t been to any writing workshops, really have never found the time to do that, so basically my writing has grown with the assistance of editors and my publishers.


What person would you like to thank for inspiring you in your writing aspirations? How did this person help you?

Once again I’d like to thank Dahlia Rose of Sugar and Spice Press. Before I started writing erotica/erotic romance, I was a reader. The urge to write had been in the back of my mind for the longest time and one day back in 2009 I decided to act upon it. I reached out to Dahlia on a few occasions and she was kind enough to take the time to answer some questions of mine. I’ll never forget that. The rest, they say is history. She’s read a few of my WIPs and manuscripts and would always point out my flaws, so basically you can say she is one of my critique partners.

Another person is Sarah McNeal. She’s the lady who critiqued My Serbian Wolf and pointed out that I needed to do more telling and less showing. Thank you dear Sarah. Plus, she’s a wonderful author. I wish both my critique partners much love and success in all their endeavors.


Have you ever used songs for inspiration?

Oh yes, many songs from many different bands and musicians:

Type O Negative – Be My Druidess, Anesthesia

Nightwish - Phantom of the Opera

Disturbed – Devour

B.B. King – The Thrill is Gone

Son House – Death Letter Blues, This song inspired me to write a story about the Crossroads. My hero, Robert sold his soul at the crossroads in another life…This story will be published in the next few months and will be contracted by Shara Azod, LLC.


Do you play music when you write? If so, what kind? Or, do you have to have silence or background noise to set your writing muse free?

I always play a mixture of Metal, Rock, R & B or Blues when writing. At the top of my list is Metal and Rock, sometimes I listen to New Age, depending on my mood. So many varieties of music can be found on my itunes list and my ipod.


Do you read in a different genre than you write? If yes, why? If you read in the same genre that you write, do you feel that it influences your writing in any way?

I read in the same genre as I write. Erotica and erotic romance I will always enjoy reading and writing in and yes, it influences me because I feel we all learn something from one another. I’ve been influenced by Dahlia Rose, J. Hali Steele, and many other authors just from reading their work.


What is your process from idea to first draft?

Lately I’ve discovered I’ve had to sit down and write short summaries for my stories. I have to list the characters, their motives and their dilemmas before actually writing. There were times when I held the whole story in my head and wrote constantly, like I couldn’t get it down on paper, (or computer) fast enough. It always seemed like someone else was telling the story to me.


Have you ever given assistance to a struggling new writer? Has another writer ever come to your aide? How?

Yes, I’ve always helped new writers. Just like Dahlia Rose says, “Pay It Forward,” meaning she helped me when I embarked on my writing career, and my door is always open for those in need. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Writers have come to me for help in getting the word out about themselves and their stories. I enjoy having guest authors on my blog and have interviewed many.

Other writers/authors have assisted me as well, especially when it comes to promotion or just reading each other’s manuscripts. It helps to inspire each other.


What do you consider your greatest accomplishments in your career so far?

My greatest accomplishments are being invited to participate in anthologies by publishers such as Amira Press, Silver Publishing, and Shara Azod, LLC. Shara invited me to take part in the Cinco de Mayo series, my book, Five Black Roses is a part of this.


If you won the big lottery, what would you do with the money? Would give any of it to charity? If so, which one?

If I won the lottery I would give some to St Judes. I’d also give my mother money for her shop and open my own spa.


What is the best advice you want to give to a new writer?

The best advice is to continue with your writing and develop a thick skin. We open our hearts and souls to the public and sometimes people can be very vicious just because they can. As a writer, you’ll notice friendly criticism but unfortunately there are times when you will be viciously attacked in a review. I’d just like to say, continue doing what you do best. With each book your writing will grow. Also know, you can’t please everyone. There are some who will always find fault with your writing no matter what, but that’s okay. Write for those who enjoy your work and be true to yourself. Nuff said.


If you could choose an animal for a mascot, what animal would it be? What do you admire about this animal? Do you feel you have qualities similar to this animal? If so, what are they?

Wow, I choose the panther because this animal is sleek and mesmerizing and encompasses a certain spiritual quality. It could be the way it walks, and stalks it prey, I don’t know. Perhaps it is my animal totem. I get chills whenever I see this beautiful large cat, like I am a part of it…. But then again, I am a cat person.


If money, education and fear factors were set aside, what three careers would you like to attempt other than writing?

Writing is one of three of my businesses, so at the ripe ole age of 40, I’m focusing on working for myself and no one else. I’ve been working for others since the age of 16 and yeah, I’m stubborn. Just don’t want to work for anyone else. Ha! I’d rather work seven days per week for myself then to work five days per week for someone else.

I have no fears and have busted my humps for education for the past three years. In addition, I’m planning to return to college in the Fall for my Associate’s Degree. You can’t have fears when you want to pursue something. Just do it. If you don’t stay active, you die. In this life I want to be free to do the things that appeases me, and now I finally have the opportunity.


If money, talent and fear were no object, what big adventure would you like to have?

Hmmm, I’d try my hand at acting. LOL Once again, I have no fear, but to pursue acting you must invest a lot of your time. However, if it presented itself to me I’d jump at the chance. Yes… I could see me in a Tyler Perry movie, or as a guest on Vampire Diaries or True Blood. I’d want to play a vampire or a witch. Yeah, that would be cool…


What characteristics do you like to instill in your heroes? What characteristics do you feel are necessary for a good heroine?

My heroes are dark and dangerous, but with a gentleman’s quality. They are strong and love their women fiercely, body mind and soul. And when I say fiercely, I do mean fiercely.

My heroines are sassy, stubborn and fighters. They push their fears aside and set out to do whatever it takes to overcome their obstacles.


If you had the power to change two things in the world, what would those two things be?

If I could wave a magic wand, I’d stop the damn war in Afghanistan. I hate seeing strong men and women going over there and returning home with body parts missing, or their minds affected by the horrid effects of this war, and some not returning home at all. Its sickening, I hate it.

Hunger. Why the hell do people have to starve? There is more than enough money and food in the world, and no one should starve.

Another thing is sick children. I hate to see children suffer. These are all the sick, twisted evils of the world we endure. I truly believe that one day these things I’ve listed will cease to exist and there will be peace.


If could have a super power for a day, what would it be? Why?

Flying. I’d fly all over the world because flying is an awesome power to have.



Blurb for Of Wolf’s Blood:

In an effort to escape her sister's sadistic lust for power and her clan's dark family curse, Simone retreats into the world of the vampire for survival purposes. While dwelling within the coven, she meets her vampire mates Sax and Lucius. Eventually, coven law requires them to turn her vampire. There's just one little problem. Her mates are unaware of Simone's true nature. How will Simone survive the vampires discovering her identity--especially when others of her kind have been enemies of Steeleheart Coven for centuries? Furthermore, can she escape her sister's clutches and avoid embracing the dark destiny of her clan?

Excerpt:

Two large vampires, one redheaded and the other white-haired, made their way over to the bar. The sea of writhing bodies seemingly parted just for them. The aura of power they exuded hung heavy in the air, causing the hair on Simone’s neck to stand on end. As they approached, their eyes held hers in rapt attention. Both smiled at her, flashing their fangs.

Immediately she was intrigued and couldn’t explain the sudden attraction to them both. “Who are they?” she whispered to Raoul.

“Lucius, the redhead, is brother to coven leader, Lazius, and first in command. The white-haired dude is second in command,” Raoul said with haste as he prepared their drinks. “His name is Sax, and he loves Bloody Orgasms. Don’t disappoint. They’ve known each other for over six hundred years.”

“Ah, this little chocolate beauty could never disappoint,” Sax said, as he sat on a barstool. “Pay him no mind, beautiful,” he rasped. “We won’t bite—much,” he said with a grin as he extended his hand. “You are . . . ?”

No comments:

Post a Comment