Monday, July 18, 2011

Be Kind to Your Editor Day, Week, Month, Year

Let's face it, we all feel like the babe in the photo when our editors ask us for changes in our precious works.

(Photobucket)


However, did you ever stop to wonder how your editor feels?

I think I have a pretty good insight into it. You see, at my EDJ, I'm a Managing Editor. I have nearly 100 freelance editors whose work I oversee. When special projects come up, I'm required to check each line of the editors' work products to ensure client satisfaction.

Believe me, those edits don't happen during a routine 9-5 M-F period. They come in at all hours and every single freaking day. Trying to stop the deluge is like plugging a hole in a dam with a wad of gum.

It's not bad enough that I'm on call at all hours, I then have whiny writers to deal with. I can't tell you the times my edits have come back with:

"So I forgot to use punctuation a couple of times, what's the big deal?"

"Oops, guess I should have spell-checked. Ha-ha."

"Sorry, I forgot that the first four pages should have been in past tense."

 "I am not wrong, and I resent you telling me that I am."

"I'll get around to the edits when I have a chance. I'm going on vacation for the next few weeks."

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. I quit last weekend. Didn't I send an email?"

"You mean I spelled the client's name wrong? Wow. I need another cup of coffee."

I can't tell you the number of times I've read comments like the above and wanted to pack it in. Editors at publishing houses surely feel the same. Although it's difficult for all of us to have our story faults pointed out, it's necessary. Better your editor tell you to tone down the crying, exclamation points, adverbs and overused words than to have a critic say it online.

Editors aren't there to make you feel bad. Their purpose is to make you a better writer. Each time I receive edits, I add to my list of what I should and shouldn't do. Does that make my writing easier? Not at all. The more I learn about my craft, the more I realize how I need to improve.

My job is to perfect my art, to please my fans and to make the jobs of my editors as easy as possible.

I know I appreciate the same with my freelance staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment