Friday, January 20, 2012

Second Chances


Do you know what I love about January? It's the month for starting over and second chances. I can take a step back, take a deep breath, and start over with the things I didn't do so good a job with the first time.

Yes, I've picked my guitar back up and am trying to teach myself how to play (and I'm totally using YouTube lessons). Yes, I've started my exercise routine again (and OMG my legs hurt!!). Yes, I'm going back to that manuscript that I set aside to do ten other projects first (I really do like it).

Our characters also need a second chance to get things right. Its far more entertaining to read about someone trying to get things right, trying to work past their issues than it is to watch things come easily to them. It also makes them more relatable and gives readers something to cheer for. We want them to succeed, but we want them to earn it.

I know some of my favorite characters to read are the ones who had to "try again". They had to make changes, accept the fact that if they wanted to achieve their goal the way they'd always done things wasn't going to cut it.

Who are some of your favorite characters who had to give something a second shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment