Monday, January 23, 2012

Valentine's Day: Dreary or Lovely?


We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness - and call it love - true love. ~Robert Fulghum

This is my official Valentine's Day post since my blog date is late in February. The month of love is special to me since I married my husband on February 18th, 1989. We also had our third child in February after suffering through two miscarriages along the way. Between our anniversary, Valentine's Day and Miss Emily's birthday we are quite festive during the month of February. It wasn't always like that for me though.

Throughout high school and college I always seemed to be in between boyfriends when February rolled around. Later, I was in a bad relationship and Valentine's Day was the least of my concerns. I actually dreaded the day. Then I met Chuck, and we realized we were perfect for each other. At the age of 51 I can tell you in all honesty that it's the little things that make for the best Valentine's Day celebrations. It's the years that my husband and I were broke, but he still brought me home my favorite candy or a single rose. It's the times that my kids and I had tea parties together with Valentine's candy and Little Debbie treats. Those moments more than made up for those other, dreary Valentine's Days.

I think of Valentine's Day as a time to show my family and friends that I love them with funny cards, Valentine's Day brownies and plenty of hugs. I try to make sure that everyone around me knows that they are loved, even if they don't have a significant other to give them roses or kisses.

How do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

~Brenda

Brenda Hyde has been a freelance writer of home and garden articles for over 20 years, and now she's also writing paranormal romance through short stories and novellas. You can find her at the Wayfaring Writer blog here: http://moonsanity.blogspot.com/ and the Old Fashioned Living blog (http://oldtips.blogspot.com/) where she writes twice a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment